Non Destructive Testing of plain Carbon steel castings using Eddy Current

R

Ron28

I'm looking for a method of doing eddy current testing on a casting.
The casting is plain carbon steel ( A 216 WCB), but need to examined on the surface ( +/- 4 mm depth) for (sub)surface defects like porosity, pinholes,
inclusions and the like. I figured that in lieu of using MPE or LPE, eddy current might give a better indication of defects.
Has anyone any experience with this.
Appriate any thoughts.

A

andygr

Since the material is CS this will not be possable.
I could be wrong based on some new technology so try and search the web to be sure.
Eddy current testing works best with AL or SS materials that are not magnetic.

LP testing will only detect items that are open to the surface of the part.

MP will allow you to check beneath the surface.

Other options are Ultrasonics and X-ray. The quicker of the 2 for detecting porisity and pin holes ( depending on the grainstructure of the casting) would be using ultrasonics. Use a delay tip to see the near surface or if the surface are smooth and // you can look at los of back menthod.
:2cents:

J

jbernier

Not too mention that Eddy Current detection for pin holes and porosity is really not the right method. You may want to look at diffrent method including RT and UT.

R

Ron28

Since the material is CS this will not be possable.
I could be wrong based on some new technology so try and search the web to be sure.
Eddy current testing works best with AL or SS materials that are not magnetic.

LP testing will only detect items that are open to the surface of the part.

MP will allow you to check beneath the surface.

Other options are Ultrasonics and X-ray. The quicker of the 2 for detecting porisity and pin holes ( depending on the grainstructure of the casting) would be using ultrasonics. Use a delay tip to see the near surface or if the surface are smooth and // you can look at los of back menthod.
:2cents:

Andy,

Thanks for the insight.
Have done some more (web) research and concluded that for carbon steel , Eddy current is not the appropriate method.
Guess we will try US to locate the pinholes and porosity, since X-ray didn't give us much initially.

Again, thanks for the response.

A

andygr

Ron
Save yourself some false starts if you are not real familiar with UT and contact your local NDT supplier. If you can give them a known good and bad part they can select the correct transducers for your application and or give you info on if what you want to resolve in size and type is possable.:2cents:

R

Ron28

If you can give them a known good and bad part they can select the correct transducers for your application and or give you info on if what you want to resolve in size and type is possable.:2cents:

Will take that into consideration Andy.

Cheers, Ron

Top Bottom