OSHA - 1926.252(e) - Oily Rag Storage

EmilyJ

Starting to get Involved
Hi, all - first time posting, but I have an OSHA related question. My area of expertise is really more IATF but I have started a new position in which I need to know more about OSHA regulations.

1926.252(e)
All solvent waste, oily rags, and flammable liquids shall be kept in fire resistant covered containers until removed from worksite.

We are currently dealing with ensuring compliance to the regulation above. Does anyone have any recommendations of storage solutions that aren't insanely expensive? Our auditor said that they have to be metal, which I found in an OSHA handbook but is not stated in the regulation above. Any cost-saving guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
how much do you generate?
You can get these in different sizes and this what I usually see in plants I've worked in
Oily Waste Cans

EmilyJ

Starting to get Involved
We are a stamping facility so there is a good amount of grease used on the dies... I'm still pretty new so I'm not 100% sure about pounds collected etc. The grainger and uline links you provided are the same one I was looking at; I just have plant management asking if we HAVE to spend that much money...? Y'all know how that goes. Thanks!

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
We are a stamping facility so there is a good amount of grease used on the dies... I'm still pretty new so I'm not 100% sure about pounds collected etc. The grainger and uline links you provided are the same one I was looking at; I just have plant management asking if we HAVE to spend that much money...? Y'all know how that goes. Thanks!

yeah - been there. Let's cheap on the safety precautions.
$133?!?!!? We haven't had a fire yet!

Ask them what's more expensive: $133 for a 21 gallon container or the time you've already put into researching this.

EmilyJ

Starting to get Involved
Try something like this. maybe add some paint.

Interesting - so the metal doesn't have to be rated in some way? I know it doesn't say anything about metal rating in the standard, but my boss is telling me he thinks it has to be rated somehow in order for it to be compliant.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Interesting - so the metal doesn't have to be rated in some way? I know it doesn't say anything about metal rating in the standard, but my boss is telling me he thinks it has to be rated somehow in order for it to be compliant.
Metal is by nature fire resistant.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Metal is good, but I think you'll find that you want a self closing lid as well...
We had removable lids, and the fire inspection made us replace them the first time they saw a lid off...

Top Bottom