Pneumatic powertool (Drill) - Is IEC 60601-1 applicable?

Lorenzo

Starting to get Involved
I would like to know whether IEC60601-1 can also be used for pneumatic drills. The function and application of the pneumatic drill is comparable to that of a battery-powered drill.

I think that IEC 60601-1 would not be applicable for the most part and have not found a more suitable standard yet.
If the answer to my question is no, the next question would be which standard is applicable.

Thank you very much.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
You can use any standard any way you want in principle, as standards are simply consensus knowledge.

So, although IEC 60601 was created with a focus on medical electrical equipment, you could simply use parts of it that fits for your device, even if it's not a medical electrical equipment (as part of design verification, for example).

However, in the case of a high regulated field such as medical devices, that has several uses of standards related to complying with regulatory requirements, I would just take with claiming things that are not correct (for example, most of the cases in which standards give you some kind of presumption of conformity with regulatory requirements, such as in the case of Europe, they do that for devices under the scope of the standard).

Top Bottom