Popup and Spam Blocker Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

William Battles

Popup Blocker Software

Has anyone oon the cove downloaded and used the spamblocker program Secretmaker version 3.7.6? It is a free software program located at download .com. It is supposed to cure popups,spam,worms,banners,and protect my privacy as well as something called history cleaner. Any comments? good, bad, about the system? Thanks! in advance! :thanx:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
another free choice

William Battles said:
Has anyone oon the cove downloaded and used the spamblocker program Secretmaker version 3.7.6? It is a free software program located at download .com. It is supposed to cure popups,spam,worms,banners,and protect my privacy as well as something called history cleaner. Any comments? good, bad, about the system? Thanks! in advance! :thanx:
I use free blocker from Google as part of Google header on my Internet Explorer browser - it keeps a running total of popups blocked. My total says 7475 since I installed it at Hallowe'en. I like the idea of Google because it is continuously supported by Google. Good thing is you can turn it off any time you want. (Not installed on your hard drive.)

It makes a little "snick" sound when a block is initiated. Option allows you to either use cursor arrow on icon in header to view or to hold down Control key as you click on a link to allow ONE popup. Sometimes websites deliver important info via popups and you want to see the data.
I have a separate browser supplied by my DSL provider with its own popup blocker. It works similarly by lighting an icon which says "click here to view blocked popup." That one has security level set so high, I have to hold Control key down when I right click on any link to open a separate (new) window on ANY website (not a problem with Google.) It does not keep a running total from day one, only for each session.

It might be interesting to explore the mechanism each popup blocker uses to see how the system works. Anyone know offhand?

History cleaner is simple with or without separate program if you have Internet Explorer. Simply click Tools/Internet Options/General/Clear History. (You can set the History for longer or shorter term and it will clear itself of all stuff older than the time you set.) Also consider deleting Temporary Internet files (most are just snapshots of webpages you visit) in a similar manner: Tools/Internet Options/General/Delete Files.

Spam is an email thing and sometimes I wonder if the blockers aren't more trouble than they are worth. Set the security level too high and you have to individually add as acceptable all the correspondents who send broadcast email (clubs, churches, associations, even family members.) or anyone who sends you a copy with your name in the bcc box. Trying to filter on the subject block is worthless as the spammers use misspellings and look-alike symbols to fill your inbox with VI@GR@ or "SECKS K!TTENS"

Dealing with worms and viruses requires frequent update as new tricks make the rounds of hackers and crackers. I think I'd rather pay McAfee or Norton to do that. I've lost two harddrives of data in the last 5 years to insidious viruses. It ain't pretty!

E

energy

Yeah, what Wes said....

Pop up blockers "used" to interfere with Private Messages here in the Cove. That's why I use Internet Explorer, rather than aol with pop up blocker activated. I don't know if that is still true with the recent switchover, but it's just my two sense! Okay, Wes, it's deliberate sense! :vfunny: :agree:

B

Bob_M

Wes Bucey said:
History cleaner is simple with or without separate program if you have Internet Explorer. Simply click Tools/Internet Options/General/Clear History. (You can set the History for longer or shorter term and it will clear itself of all stuff older than the time you set.) Also consider deleting Temporary Internet files (most are just snapshots of webpages you visit) in a similar manner: Tools/Internet Options/General/Delete Files.
Note: Tools/Internet Options/General/Delete Files does NOT get rid of all your temporary files. No matter how many times you do this some still stick around. They may appear gone, but there are "super-hidden" directories that you can't normally find unless you do a search. This is why there are "internet cleaner" programs out there. *shrug*

So you're happy with Google?
Do the current version still track EVERY single search and site visited like the orignal version? I stayed away from the original be cause I found it to be a form of "non-hidden" spyware...

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Bob_M said:
Note: Tools/Internet Options/General/Delete Files does NOT get rid of all your temporary files. No matter how many times you do this some still stick around. They may appear gone, but there are "super-hidden" directories that you can't normally find unless you do a search. This is why there are "internet cleaner" programs out there. *shrug*

So you're happy with Google?
Do the current version still track EVERY single search and site visited like the orignal version? I stayed away from the original be cause I found it to be a form of "non-hidden" spyware...
Bob_M is absolutely correct - some "temporary" files are anything but. Curse of "cleaners" is that the miscreants who implant the temp files always seem to be one step ahead of the cleaners, just like the virus and worm guys are ahead of Norton and McAfee. Our hope is that the virus, worm, or whatever, gets noticed and countered by Norton or McAfee or whoever we use BEFORE it hits our individual machine. Sometimes (in my own case, TWICE), we get hit before the virus is noticed and a countermeasure devised.

Bob_M is partially correct about Google collecting info:
For full details of what Google tracks and how you can turn off tracking feature, read https://toolbar.google.com/privacy.html

Essentially, Google only tracks when you incorporate the "advanced" features of Google.

E

energy

What a surprise

The Elsmar Cove Forums - View Profile: energy
... Referrals: 0. Home Page: Email: Send a message
via email to energy. Private Message: Send a private message to energy. ...

We recently had our website put into Google's search engine. When checking it out, actually typing the actual website, the above came up as one of three choices. When I viewed my profile, I got Wes Bucey's. :vfunny: It's amazing, at least to me, that the search would detect our website address in the Cove Profile for a member, even if it wasn't the correct one. :vfunny:

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy

Super Moderator
I just switched to Earthlink and the spamblocker is pretty good. You need to learn to work around it though. PM's from here and emails on other sites get blocked, so it needs to be turned off occasionally.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
energy said:
It's amazing, at least to me, that the search would detect our website address in the Cove Profile for a member, even if it wasn't the correct one.
I'm surprised. But then again, loss or 'corruption' of a data character - considering all a spider does - is not improbable. Could have been off by a number or something.

All the links I've tried on Google and other places have beek OK except in cases of an old thread or post that was deleted.

I do see a lot of links to, for example, http :// qs9000.com /Forums /showthread?t=458 or similar and I know that will default to the Elsmar.com home page becuase of the qs9000.com domain name in the link.

None the less - you're in a search engine because of your profile in the the forums. Now what?

E

energy

Just call me Wes

Marc said:
None the less - you're in a search engine because of your profile in the the forums. Now what?

I'm famous? :biglaugh:

D

D.Scott

Re: Just call me Wes

energy said:
I'm famous? :biglaugh:

Just for fun I typed in OldYank1 (my online ID) and discovered I am almost as famous as Energy. :biglaugh:

BTW, my results took two pages. :thedeal:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom