Product Assurance Plan which Translates Design Goals into Design Requirements

P

peterdd

Dear all, this is the first question I enter into the forum. I found allready many answers on different questions, but could not find an answer on this one. I found an old thread on the same topic but the answer did not satisfy. Can some one help me out?

Section 1.12 of the APQP ( I still use issue 1994) explains the Product Assurance Plan. I can not imagine how this plan should look like.
1. Can someone explain?
2. Does the APQP not have a standard sheet for this Product Assurance Plan

Thanks in advance

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I've read all the threads and posts related to this topic. Interesting to see that virtually all of the Covers have definitions, examples, good explanations; excellent interpretations and they're all somewhat different!

Going back to the APQP manual, even the definitions in the manual are not exactly the same. (I think I'm splitting hairs here....:D)

Look at page 11: "The Product Assurance Plan translates design goals into design requirements."
I agree with Marc, because that's exactly the purpose and output of APQP Phase One.

Look at page 104: "A part of the Product Quality Plan."

My conclusion is that the Product Assurance Plan (that addresses the design and development process) is similar to a Control Plan that addresses the controls utilized in the manufacturing process.

Stijloor.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

peterdd

Thank you Marc for your reply.
Yes I read through the thread you mentioned. Indeed I have basically the same question as the initiator of that thread.
But I have the feeling that the definitions "product assurance plan" and "product quality plan" are mixed up in the answers.
I know that a PAP is an output of phase 1. I understand from the explanation in the APQP that a Product Assurance Plan should show how the design goals are translated into design requirements.
Do you, or anyone else has an example of a Product Assurance Plan.

Or is a Product Assurance Plan not a mandatory requirement?

Thanks again for your help

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Thank you Marc for your reply.
Yes I red through the thread you mentioned. Indeed I have basically the same question as the initiator of that thread.
But I have the feeling that the definitions "product assurance plan" and "product quality plan" are mixed up in the answers.
I know that a PAP is an output of phase 1. I understand from the explanation in the APQP that a Product Assurance Plan should show how the design goals are translated into design requirements.
Do you, or anyone else has an example of a Product Assurance Plan.

Or is a Product Assurance Plan not a mandatory requirement?

Thanks again for your help

Hello Peter,

Prettige Tweede Kerstdag toegewenst! Bijna over he?

A PAP is not a requirement. Please keep in mind that the APQP manual contains guidelines. There is no "standard form" for PAP. If you have a defined plan that guides and manages your design process from input (7.3.2) to output (7.3.3) that would be fine. You can give it a different name if you wish. We sometimes get a little too wrapped up (I'm guilty!! :yes:) in the definitions. Bottom line? Make it work for you.

Hope this helps.

Gelukkig Nieuwjaar.

Stijloor.

P

peterdd

Hi Stijloor,
(I already thought "that sounds like a dutch name, but you are living in North Carolina"?)
Yes your answer helped. I was too much focused on the APQP manual. Now I also red the ISO/TS chapters it is much more clear. I believe the most important thing here is to identify the key characteristics of the product that are essential for its proper use.

Goede jaarwisseling,
Best regards Peter

linhuaijun2011

Registered
The product assurance plan first appeared in the first edition of the APQP manual in 1994. It has been 30 years since then, but almost no one knows what it looks like. Not only the people who implement APQP don’t know, but even the APQP reviewers don’t know.

Top Bottom