Project ECOs Not Closing, Advise

N Sanfilippo

Registered
Hi,

We just started using a Product Lifecycle Management Tool and are finding we are unable to close all ECOs on our projects in sync with product shipment. Our product schedule is such that Product Management and Engineering teams must move ahead on active work-in-progress and new projects, thus leaving a few straggling ECOs open with unresolved designs. As a document controller what can I do to close these ECOs properly?

I cannot technically approve an Engineering design and the product shipped. May I write a justification that the designs went thru a peer review and then, Factory Acceptance Testing, QA/QC, as well as Start up & Commissioning (IQ/PQ/OQ), and thereby are approved by testing?

Thanks for your advice.

N Sanfilippo

Registered
I'm not an engineer. I meant a cannot be a Subject Matter Expert. I am an approver, but not a "technical expert"
I worded that original statement poorly. I apologize

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
The process for review and approval of ECR's/ECO's normally requires a multidisciplinary team (depending on the nature, criticality, complexity and risks associated with the change). Shipping a product out without a formal engineering approval of a change represents risks. As long as the situation was reviewed and concurred by the relevant parties, the formal ECO review can be closed afterwards, but I would be concerned if there is no evidence that the relevant and necessary functions have agreed to the adequacy of the change. FAT, QA/QC, installation and commissioning personnel many times are not aware of the full range of design inputs.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
As a document controller what can I do to close these ECOs properly?
No one here can answer that question. What do your internal requirements say? If an ECO being closed is required for shipping product, then the requirement should be changed, or you should not ship until the ECO is closed.

N Sanfilippo

Registered
Right! We are starting this up, have old processes in transition to new, very few standards written, less approved. Want to get this correct. Not wanting to be driven by fire-fighting. Currently our requirements are vague, but cannot leave open forever. Looking for leverage. Back to the drawing board.

Thank you for your valuable response!
Sincerely grateful.

Top Bottom