Promotional Campaign for Environment Awareness

T

tarheels4 - 2007

The problem with recycled paper usage is that the potential environmental impact of the paper recycling is equal to or greater than that of using virgin paper.
Tee hee, you might want to buy some carbon credits for that stinker. :tg:

On the other hand, I read a report where harvesting trees in the Antarctic could reduce global warming by increasing exposed snow cover and reflecting the suns rays back through the atmosphere. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
The problem with recycled paper usage is that the potential environmental impact of the paper recycling is equal to or greater than that of using virgin paper.
I'm sure you have a really useful web link that shows this, Randy. Perhaps you could share it?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I'm sure you have a really useful web link that shows this, Randy. Perhaps you could share it?
In point of fact, there ARE several scholarly treatises on both sides of the question. Just one is here http://www.foe.co.uk/resource/briefings/paper_recycling.html

As a former college assistant professor who taught a course on "field ecology for high school biology teachers," I have been paying attention to paper recycling among many ecology-related topics for 40+ years.

In my opinion, many of the problems in paper recycling are related to the various chemicals in the inks (who knew that would be a problem when they developed the inks originally? I sure didn't.) and the chemicals needed to remove them from the paper.

Other problems arise from disjointed collection practices of used paper and "quick fix" political decisions.

Many of the original problems in primary paper manufacturing (logging, pulping, bleaching, etc.) are being slowly (too slowly for me!) addressed by vertically integrated paper companies. Advances in technology are victims of stockholder desire for CURRENT return versus long term return on the investment required.

If you are really interested in the topic and not just pulling Randy's chain, may I suggest you google "environmental impact" +"paper recycling"?

Last edited:
A

armaan

Thanks to all,

Just the another request, is there any slogan in your mind for example "Go for Green",

If you wants to share with me yours one so that i can get some idea, thanks again

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Thanks to all,

Just the another request, is there any slogan in your mind for example "Go for Green",

If you wants to share with me yours one so that i can get some idea, thanks again
I'm a well-known, long-time Demingite - slogans of ANY kind for ANY purpose are anathema to me!

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
I'm a well-known, long-time Demingite - slogans of ANY kind for ANY purpose are anathema to me!

"Slogans" may be bad, because they are empty and hollow. However, a policy statement, brief and concise, stated as a short phrase (slogan), can be very effective if the company actually puts it's heart into it. After all, that is what the marketing world lives on.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
"Slogans" may be bad, because they are empty and hollow. However, a policy statement, brief and concise, stated as a short phrase (slogan), can be very effective if the company actually puts it's heart into it. After all, that is what the marketing world lives on.
Maybe. My nightmare is to walk into a plant and see fifty foot long banners everywhere with the "policy statement" emblazoned thereon - think Ford and "Job 1":mg:

BradM

Leader
Admin
Thanks to all,

Hello, Armaan! I'm sorry I haven't been much help on this one. I'm just not a big slogan person.

I'm just so old fashioned in a sense, that you take care of the environment, have quality programs, be nice to your employees, etc. because it's the right thing to do; not solely because of laws, or to be a sales pitch. Please, I'm not saying laws are not needed, or that pitching your attributes is not good business. I hope my thought is clear there.

Do your customers come to your facility? Give them a tour and show them what you do. Do your salespeople visit their facilities? Have them determine if that information is helpful to the customer-different sales presentations for different people.

This way, they will form judgements not as much on what you say, but more importantly what you do. And giving you business based on what you do, will grant you more long-term reward.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Maybe. My nightmare is to walk into a plant and see fifty foot long banners everywhere with the "policy statement" emblazoned thereon - think Ford and "Job 1":mg:

Yes...that was the poster child of sloganeering. Everyone knew they were not really committed to it.

Top Bottom