Purchasing - Supplier Evaluation vs. Selection - What is the difference?

A

Andrews

What is the difference between supplier evaluation and supplier selection? Kindly elaborate?

C

Craig H.

Andrews said:
What is the difference between supplier evaluation and supplier selection? Kindly elaborate?

The way I see it, you would evaluate several suppliers to narrow the selection down to one or two who you actually buy from. Evaluation is part of the selection process.

W

willytheweeper

i agree, the evaluation of suppliers is the process you employ to determine whether of not your chosen contractor can meet your purchase requirments.
The selection of suppliers would be based on these results.
Not forgetting you need the abilty to also reevalute them after a specified period (Dont forget to keep records of this)

S

surendro - 2009

It will be easy if you remember SEA-

1. Select the prospective suppliers to narrow down your choice for potential approval,
2. Evaluate them and then shortlist the ones you found suitable for inclusion in the
3. Approved Supplier List.

Hope it clears the air.

Surendro

D

db

I also think evaluation continues after the selection, as in evaluate their performance.

C

Craig H.

db said:
I also think evaluation continues after the selection, as in evaluate their performance.

Yes, I agree, as you and willy have pointed out. Sometimes a formal (re)evaluation is scheduled, on, say, an annual basis. Other times an evaluation may take place because of problems.

Top Bottom