Quality Management Review Attendance

Lulugrey

Registered
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, looking for some advice about reviews.
I have been employed as a new quality manager for a company who wants to be ISO9001:2015 certified. I admit, the only reason they want it is, they were offered extra funding if they were certified.
The company has a management review which involves all the managers except me, as quality manager. I have no idea what is discussed during these meetings although I was told that some quality content is discussed.
We also now have a quality management review, at my insistence, so we can at least comply with the standard. Meetings were set up quarterly by the top management who decide who to invite. My manager has also now invited an untrained quality coordinator to the meetings, who is supposed to be reporting to me.
Are there any guidelines for who attends the meetings/ quality review and what is discussed?

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
Are there any guidelines for who attends the meetings/ quality review and what is discussed?
Guidelines for what must be discussed are in clauses 9.3.2 & 9.3.3.

Perhaps you could either help create the meeting agenda that includes these elements, else, audit the output of the meeting and identify the gaps.

As for WHO must attend, no, there are no requirements. One may make the argument that if you are not in the meeting (or any specific person), and there is an action item for that person identified in the Management Review, and it doesn't get communicated (or the task does not get done), then the process was not effective.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
There is a requirement in the standard for who attends Management Review (MR) as it pertains to ISO9001. The standard in 9.3.1 specifically requires "top management" be part of the review. Define that how you will, but auditors will not likely buy off on a couple supervisors getting together and calling it a MR.

I have never seen a MR where the QM (or whatever title the top quality person has) wasn't also there. Usually other department managers are there.

Sounds like your org may cover a lot of required MR topics in the "other" management meetings held without you. If it works for your company, adding an annual ISO9001 MR that has a formal agenda to ensure all the requirements of the standard are addressed could meet the standard's requirements.

Don't be too offended that they hold management meetings without you....yours isn't the only org where quality isn't invited to all the management meetings. LOTS of places still don't get it.

Golfman25

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, looking for some advice about reviews.
I have been employed as a new quality manager for a company who wants to be ISO9001:2015 certified. I admit, the only reason they want it is, they were offered extra funding if they were certified.
The company has a management review which involves all the managers except me, as quality manager. I have no idea what is discussed during these meetings although I was told that some quality content is discussed.
We also now have a quality management review, at my insistence, so we can at least comply with the standard. Meetings were set up quarterly by the top management who decide who to invite. My manager has also now invited an untrained quality coordinator to the meetings, who is supposed to be reporting to me.
So be careful not to confuse "management" reviews with management review of the QMS. While they can be intermixed, done at the same time, etc., it's important to meet the criteria Kronos pointed to in 9.3.2 and 9.3.3. Since you're likely in charge of the QMS, you should probably be involved, at a minimum to document 9.3.2 & 9.3.3. So rather than set up a new meeting, inquire about the existing meeting and whether you can get two items accomplished in one, assuming there is some overlap. However, if the current "management review" is simply management doing management things (i.e.; head count, acquisitions/divestures, finance, etc.), and they don't want you around, then a separate meeting is probably best. Good luck.

Top Bottom