Reasonable time for ISO 9001:2000 implementation?

G

grantb

Hi

I recently joined a small stationery company as Administration Manager. The company numbers 66 in total, and is intending to implement ISO 9001:2000. None of us in the company have much of a quality management/ assurance background and no one has formal qualifications in this area. Implementation has pretty much become one of my tasks. My company has elicited the assistance of an ISO consultant team (2 people) who have helped us draw up a quality manual, given us a little training and gotten us started. I'm not sure that I'm really too happy with the assistance they are providing us, but costs are definitely an issue.

However, I feel that there are gaps in our knowledge given that no one in the company is an expert or even experienced at quality management. The company is running very lean and there isn't spare capacity. The staff are very set in their old ways of doing things, and somewhat resistant to change. There is much non-cooperation between the various section in the company (in my opinion), but everyone is hard-working (a real plus!) ISO implementation is something we (mostly I) devote some time to, but no one is working on it full time, not even the consultants. We started with it in December 2003 and the target implementation date was 1 June 2004. This has now been moved to September, but I'm still not sure we're gonna make it.

Could somebody give me an oppinion, given the above info, on what would be a reasonable time to implement ISO 9001:2000? Are there cheap (or free) sources of ISO 9001:2000 information I can access on the Internet?

I'm feeling totally lost - drowning in a sea of ISO jargon...

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
The way that I would proceed would be to hire a consultant to perform an internal audit. This hopefully will identify the gaps so that it will allow you to deal with the areas that are weak.

After the internal audit perform the management review and then get someone to audit the management review and internal audit.

Your system should reflect your business process. If it does not, you can always ask specific questions at this forum and people can offer their suggestions.

It is really not difficult to implement ISO 9001:2000 if it has been structured as a simple system.

In terms of the time to implement ISO 9001:2000, I have helped some companies get registerd within 3 months and most between 6-9 months.

Good luck

Danny

D

D.Scott

Hi Grantb - welcome to the Cove.

I don't want to make any comments on your progress toward ISO 9001 because there are way too many variables that I don't have information on. I will comment on sources though. You, in my opinion, have found one of the most valuable resources available. The Cove members are great at sharing advice, information and assistance with anyone needing help. It is well worth the small amount to be able to access the many files and documents here at the Cove.

Don't drown, just ask and you will find all kinds of information.

Dave

D

db

As has been stated...............Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

Also, as has been stated, the timeline depends on various factors. Resources available, and the ability of the organization to absorb and react to changes are two important ones. A rule of thumb I use is consider this like having a baby. If there is steady progress, nine months is not uncommon. One concern, however, is the postponing of the date. I have found that in many cases, once the first date is missed, it is far too easy to miss the next. One thing you can do is to engage the registrar now for the September date (which is, I believe about 10 months since the start). Pay the registrar, and make it known that you lose the money if you miss that date.

N

Neil

Grantb, I don't want to discourage you but it doesn't sound like you guys are in a position to succeed. In my experience implementing ISO as both a consultant and a practitioner, the company has to clearly designate the responsibility for implementing and maintaining the system. It is not something that you can just add on to someone's already usually considerable work load and expect it just to magically happen. Your consultant should have clearly explained this to senior management and if you are going to be the man then at least some of your other job responsibilities should have been relieved. It is good to have an ISO team share the implementation but you need a prime driver. The consultant can't be this person otherwise there is a huge void when they leave.

In my opinion, a good consultant prepares senior management for the process and ensures resources are provided. After that they should be hands on teaching the driver and the team how to design and maintain the system and making sure you have the knowledge and confidence to carry on the system when they are gone. This doesn't sound like it is happening and your slipping deadlines is a bad sign. In a 66 person company, to do ISO properly (and not a consultant writes everything rush job) it should take 12-15 months from very start to putting up the signs. It can be done faster than that in small companies or if lots of resources are available but that is not the norm for a healthy ISO system.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Grant, it sounds as if your company is very lean and very tight with the purse strings - understandable in today's global economy. I'd like to suggest the following...it's a "cheap" alternative and will most likely result in pushing back your September goal, but if the goal is up to your organization to decide and not due to a regulation or requirement, this may be an option for you to investigate.

Hire a student. It's that simple. Of course, I would recommend that you, as the overall coordinator of the project, attend courses on documentation development, implementation of ISO 9001:2000 and Lead Auditor...and then give the material to a student to read up on.

I knew very little about ISO when I was first exposed to it. All I knew was that as long as we produced consistent garbage (not my exact word during the interview, fyi), we could still get registered...it was the 1987 standard, after all. My boss-to-be loved my definition and offerred me the job before I left the building.

He was the Management Representative, but also the Head Chemist for the QC lab for two facilities. My job was to work in the location closer to my home and get the other location ready for registration, plus head office. I did the training, the documentation, the interviews (after all, the folks who do the job know best what the process is), the internal audits. In about 6 - 7 months, they were ready for their registration audit....and they passed with just a few minor nonconformances!

Being well into summer already, I'd suggest you look at local colleges/univerisities that have a rotating co-op programme - a new co-op term should be starting in September. There may also be some government money available to you to subsidize the student's salary...so you pay even less!

It's a risk, to hire a student, they may be overwhelmed by your company's inflexibility or stubborness, but, again from personal experience, I tossed on the coveralls and boots and hat and went out on the line to learn about the company before starting my job. I became an honourary member of production. Had some fights with them, but in the end, they came around...because they saw that I believed in what I was doing and was able to share my enthusiasm with the TEAM.

It will take longer to become registered, but it will give you some focus on the project. You will be able to spend less time developing the programme and more time supervising the student, but even that will lessen as the student becomes more aware of the goals and more comfortable with concepts.

Just an option for you to consider if you're looking for a low-cost alternative.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Grant,

So much of your answer depends on just how dedicated the company truly is to getting registered.

Also see https://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=8915

As far as resources, you found a great one -- maybe the best single resource there is. Ask questions and you will get fast replies from lots of true experts who have been there, done that. Also, use the search feature and get instant answers to most questions which have been answered before.

Hello Grant,

The others have already given you the answers I would have given: The time for implementation depends on your current status, knowledge and available resources. However, I still want to seize the opportunity to wish you welcome to the Cove. :bigwave: Keep posting, we will do our level best to give you sound advice.

/Claes

G

grantb

Thanks

Hi all

Thanks for your all replies, advice and encouragement.
I really appreciate it. Got a lot of work ahead of me - I can see that for sure.

Still, it's great to know I can come and look for answers here.

Regards,
Grant

"Lay on, Macduff!"

Q

QCAce

grantb said:
Hi
Could somebody give me an oppinion, given the above info, on what would be a reasonable time to implement ISO 9001:2000? Are there cheap (or free) sources of ISO 9001:2000 information I can access on the Internet?

I'm feeling totally lost - drowning in a sea of ISO jargon...

Very difficult to answer in a short post, but I can tell you I recently helped register a company of 300 to ISO9001:2000 in about 10 months.
There are free resources available, but with so many opinions out there it may confuse you even more.
Here are some other tips you might find useful:
https://www.elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=81647&postcount=7

I would also strongly recommend a 5-day Lead Auditor course for ISO9001:2000. It might be difficult to find the time but this will give you the ISO lingo knowledge you seek and also give you a good idea of what your company looks like through the eyes of an auditor.

Good luck.
Andy

Top Bottom