Rental Warehouse Audit required?

A

ashujanu

Hello Sam and Big Jim,

After reading your posts, I understood why warehouse audit is necessary. FYI, as we are storing chemicals in the warehouse (for sale on high sale basis or direct sales), all safety precautions are taken, MSDS are logged in, as well as all legal formalities are also done (as per the requirement of the government). Every month, a checklist is also submitted wherein it states the status of the product, packing, stock sold off, stock in hand etc.

But, now how to do the warehouse audit is the main problem. Will audit will have to be done by our internal auditors by an on-site visit? What do they need to check? Documentation is done and is always updated. As the warehouse is not of our own, then who will be the Auditee? MR or the VP / Unit Head, because from our company there is not one particular person who is handling / corresponding with the warehouse? There are many parameters to think of.

What to do?
bye
ash

Big Jim

Admin
Hello Sam and Big Jim,

After reading your posts, I understood why warehouse audit is necessary. FYI, as we are storing chemicals in the warehouse (for sale on high sale basis or direct sales), all safety precautions are taken, MSDS are logged in, as well as all legal formalities are also done (as per the requirement of the government). Every month, a checklist is also submitted wherein it states the status of the product, packing, stock sold off, stock in hand etc.

But, now how to do the warehouse audit is the main problem. Will audit will have to be done by our internal auditors by an on-site visit? What do they need to check? Documentation is done and is always updated. As the warehouse is not of our own, then who will be the Auditee? MR or the VP / Unit Head, because from our company there is not one particular person who is handling / corresponding with the warehouse? There are many parameters to think of.

What to do?
bye
ash

You would apply a supplier audit, also know as a 2nd party audit and sometimes as an On-site visit. These are often done by the quality manager but anyone from your organization that is qualified could do it.

I would start by looking at your contract (I think you called it a memorandium) to see what you have committed them to do and consider it your base line. Add to it anything else you would expect them to do to properly handle your material. You could create a checklist if you so desired based on the above.

Basically, your warehouse is a supplier of service to you. You apply the level of control over them that is appropriate. For the most part, YOU determine what is appropriate.

Some of the things I would probably be looking for inventory control (it's your product on their shelves), a neat and orderly weathertite warehouse that promotes both traceability and preservation of product, and safe handling of any hazardous materials. It should not be difficult for you to know what to look for as it is your product and are you not the expert?

Often 2nd party audits are not particularly interested in their quality management system, but that would be fair game for an audit as well, again, depending on the level of control you feel you need over this supplier.

I hope this helps.

A

ashujanu

Thanks Big Jim for your advise and help. Most of the things which u have mentioned, we have already adhered to it.

Lets see now how the warehouse audit goes which is planned by our coordinator on coming tuesday or wednesday. Because most probably I, MR, will be teh auditee and our coordinator (i dont know how he can audit when he is not from our company) and the VP will be the internal auditors. My main worry is that I being the MR should not get an NC for things which are not under my perview or which are beyond my control (i.e. warehouse). none of our executives who are actually involved wtih this rental warehouse are interested in this rental warehouse audit..

Thanks once again.
Bye
ash

Big Jim

Admin
The auditee should be the warehouse managers, not you.

It is OK for your coordinator to be an auditor, either as an internal auditor or as a supplier auditor.

This would not be an internal audit. It would be a supplier audit.

S

SpongeMouse

Thanks Big Jim for your advise and help. Most of the things which u have mentioned, we have already adhered to it.

Lets see now how the warehouse audit goes which is planned by our coordinator on coming tuesday or wednesday. Because most probably I, MR, will be teh auditee and our coordinator (i dont know how he can audit when he is not from our company) and the VP will be the internal auditors. My main worry is that I being the MR should not get an NC for things which are not under my perview or which are beyond my control (i.e. warehouse). none of our executives who are actually involved wtih this rental warehouse are interested in this rental warehouse audit..

Thanks once again.
Bye
ash

just as long as your records are in good shape and the process are complied based on your documented procedure, i guess you dont have to worry a thing.

do a last minute check on the record and the process. i my opinion, those 2 are the most important aspects. just make sure there are no big deviations :cool:

keep cool :notme:

Top Bottom