Requirements for LiPo Batteries in the EU ?

Bouth

Registered
Hello all,

We're currently designing bluetooth headphones in which a LiPo Battery is used, the battery cannot be removed by the user and its spec are 3.7 V / ~100mAh.

The question that we're having currently is : what documents/certificate related to the battery are required to sell our product within the European Union ? (And maybe also in the United States ?)

I have stumbled across a similar post in this forum in my researches but it concerns a medical device, so maybe the requirements for non-medical devices are different ?

I must admit that I'm having a hard time grasping what is really needed or not for that topic, so if anyone has a clear answer, it would be deeply appreciated !

Thanks for the help, have a nice day :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
How is the battery disposed of?

EU 2006 66 EC EU Battery Directive we followed for MDD

EU asked us how much heat the battery could generate in a worst case scenario (Fire hazard)

FDA didnt focus much on our battery which is similar to yours.

CharlieUK

Quite Involved in Discussions
Bluetooth headphones fall under the Radio Equipment Directive, which requires a safety assement

The most appropriate product standard for the headphones is EN 62368-1

EN 62368-1 requires rechargeable batteries to be compliant with IEC 62133

You will also need compliance with UN 38.3 so that you can ship batteries / product

Bouth

Registered
Just for clarification, are the aforementioned requirements/standards applicable to United States/Canada or just European Union ?

Thanks !

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
I am not sure about the USA> I will check our documentation when I am in the office next week.

For Canada, are you applying under the Interim ORder for COVID-19?

CharlieUK

Quite Involved in Discussions
UL 62368-1 would be the applicable standard for the headphones in North America and it contains same battery requirement

Top Bottom