Sec 5.3 Quality Policy (Objectives)

V

ValleyGirl

Is there a difference between Key Quality Objectives and Quality Objectives?
We have a Quality Policy and Quality Objectives in place...two separate documents.

Quality Objectives are:
  • On time delivery
  • Quote Capture
  • 1st time product quality
and states desired improvement desired

Recently, we had an audit (AS9100)and we were written up for:
Quality policy inadequate does not address key objectives, as stated in standard requirements clause 5.3 Quality Policy

I admit, I am very new to QA, but I am confused. Do the Quality Objectives need to be stated in Quality Policy?:confused:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
We have had numerous discussions on quality objectives. Please search.

Nevertheless, if you transposed the exact words of the non-conformity, as stated by the lead assessor, you should appeal that. That non-conformity statement is unclear at best, invalid at worst.

Concerning "quote capture", what exactly does that mean? Converting quotes into contracts? Generating more quotes? How does that relate in a better product or more customer satisfaction? Many business objectives (although critical) are not quality objectives. I would scrutinize that objective to see if it really satisfies the definition.

Since you are new to quality, a piece of advice already provided several times here: Don't allow an external auditor to leave your premises at the end of an audit UNTIL you are satisfied with the validity of the non-conformities being disclosed, and you CLEARLY understand what are the requirements being violated. Without a CLEAR and WRITTEN requirement*, there is NO valid non-conformity. If you reach an impass, you must ask for the appeal process details. All CB's are required to have one. Exercize it.

*Acceptable sources for requirements are:
  • The Standard (ISO 9001, AS9100, TS29001, etc...)
  • Regulatory requirements (FAA AD's, FAR's, FDA QSR, etc...)
  • Customer contract and flown down documents (Drawings, specifications, PO's, etc...)
  • Your own command media requirements (manual, procedures, instructions, etc...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom