SST .625 dia Cold Rolled 303 bar and Magnetism

J

JRKH

How much "magnetism" would be acceptable in .625 dia Cold Rolled 303 bar?
I know that some magnetism can be introduced through cold working - - but I don't know how to quantify this....

We have some of the above bars that are exhibiting a pretty strong attraction to a rare earth magnet and were rejected by both our saw operator and two of our best Quality techs as being too magnetic. But - this is really kind of an experience and feel thing and I am wondering if we can create something more quantifiable.....

How much magnetism can be introduced just in cold rolling? Is there a way to quantify this?
Is a rare earth magnet a fair test of this material?

Any info would be appreciated.

James

J

JRKH

Re: SST and magnetism...need some education please

Thanks for the article. I have saved it for future reference.
Unfortunately - It isn't as "practical" as I hoped.

My concern is really one of - how much magnetism is likely to be introduced into a 300 series SST by the Cold Roll process?

At what point would the magnetism be enough to suggest that the material is not a 300 series Stainless.

Is there anything that can help me with this?

James

normzone

Trusted Information Resource

I'm afraid I can't offer any quantifiable help, only my experience that I've seen lots of 300 series SS that would hold a magnet - so it doesn't necessarily mean the material is not 300.

I used to have a dye penetrant kit that also contained a small analog meter that would respond to magnetism - I used it to find welds in assemblies that had been polished so well you could not tell where the welds were. I don't remember any pertinent numbers though.

Do you have one of those chemical test kits that can be used to determine material type? Acid on a paper, electricity applied, more chemicals on the paper, sample then compared to reference guide? That should be able to tell you something.

J

JRKH

Don't have one, but sounds like something worth looking into.

The sense I'm getting from my research so far is that there really isn't much quantifiable out there....

James

J

JRKH

Here's a similar kit to the one I used to use. Is there a question about whether the material is 316 or 304? Or is there a requirement regarding magnetism?
No there isn't a requirement on the magnetism....
It is just being confusing to the fellows on the floor.
I was hoping that there might be something fairly simple and preferably quantifiable that I could share with them and with the quality team to get us all on the same page.

For the time being I have told everyone that CR 300 series stainless can have a little magnetism so do not use a rare earth magnet to check.
HR 300 stainless steel should NOT have any magnetism at all - but to only use a rare earth magnet if there is a serious doubt.

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it's a handy tool to have.

http://www.koslow.com/metal-alloy-id.html

And the manual:

http://www.koslow.com/manuals/1499.pdf

Thanks for the links.

James

Top Bottom