Statistics Question from Production and Operations Management Course

G

Gemini2011

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this website. Could someone please help me answer a question for my Productions and Operations Management course? I read the assigned chapter but I still don't understand how to solve this problem. I tried looking up to see if Excel has an x - chart or and R - chart but I couldn't find these charts in Excel. Could someone please help me solve this problem?

"A food processor specified that the contents of a jar of salsa should weigh 14 ± 0.10 ounces net. A statistical quality control operation is set up, and the following data are obtained for one week: Sample No. 1 - Mon. 14.10 14.06 14.25 14.06 Tues. 13.90 13.85 13.80 14.00 Wed. 14.40 14.30 14.10 14.20 Thurs. 13.95 14.10 14.00 14.15 Fri. 14.05 13.90 13.95 14.60

Using the QMpom module called Forecasting Models (Linear Regression), analyze the effect of the day on the sample means for the weight of the contents of the salsa jars. 1. Construct an x chart based on these 5 samples. 2. Construct an R-chart based on these 5 samples. 3. What points, if any, have gone out of control? 4. Discuss the results. Also, use of the QMpom module called Quality Control Models (Statistical Quality Control [SQC]) will help create the x chart and the R-chart."

Unfortunately I don't have the software that is mentioned that will help facilitate solving this problem. I'm clueless about how to make an x - chart and a R- chart. I tried to figure it out by doing searches for these types of charts but the information I found wasn't very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this website. Could someone please help me answer a question for my Productions and Operations Management course? I read the assigned chapter but I still don't understand how to solve this problem. I tried looking up to see if Excel has an x - chart or and R - chart but I couldn't find these charts in Excel. Could someone please help me solve this problem?

"A food processor specified that the contents of a jar of salsa should weigh 14 ± 0.10 ounces net. A statistical quality control operation is set up, and the following data are obtained for one week: Sample No. 1 - Mon. 14.10 14.06 14.25 14.06 Tues. 13.90 13.85 13.80 14.00 Wed. 14.40 14.30 14.10 14.20 Thurs. 13.95 14.10 14.00 14.15 Fri. 14.05 13.90 13.95 14.60

Using the QMpom module called Forecasting Models (Linear Regression), analyze the effect of the day on the sample means for the weight of the contents of the salsa jars. 1. Construct an x chart based on these 5 samples. 2. Construct an R-chart based on these 5 samples. 3. What points, if any, have gone out of control? 4. Discuss the results. Also, use of the QMpom module called Quality Control Models (Statistical Quality Control [SQC]) will help create the x chart and the R-chart."

Unfortunately I don't have the software that is mentioned that will help facilitate solving this problem. I'm clueless about how to make an x - chart and a R- chart. I tried to figure it out by doing searches for these types of charts but the information I found wasn't very helpful.

Maybe have a look here:
http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/pmc/section3/pmc3.htm

Cheers,
Ronen.

Top Bottom