Suggestions on Sample Plans for High Volume/Low Cost/Low Risk Components

• Thread starter Clint McCracken
  • Start date
C

Clint McCracken

We supply rockbit balls and rollers for bearings. These parts are bought from manufacturers out of China and India. Currently there has been no physical inspection process of the received goods other than a review of the MTR to suit our specification. I am trying to figure out a way to potential classify these as verified or acceptable through either a drop-shipment method using SPC and/or source inspection. The problem is that we receive millions of these balls and rollers, each at a cost below a $1/unit (some as low as $0.15 )and it is not practical to include them in a standard sampling plan where even .1% of the order is inspected due to the volume and our inspection resources.

What I am considering at this point would be
1. Full QMS audit of the international suppliers
2. Initial inspection of 10 pcs from 10% of the total annual batch supply (potential done by a third part source inspector at supplier location)
3. Drop shipment to our Canadian and US locations
4. Repeated annually
5. Contingency plans for identified defects.

These parts and our suppliers are extremely reliable and the product is excessively simple in its construction. The risks associated with deviations in hardness and dimensions are extremely low due to manufacturing techniques and quality control processes used by the suppliers. In the event that parts are non-conforming, the risk to the end user is extremely minimal as well due to the design of the bearing and the function of the components. In addition, to date with over 5 years history with these suppliers, no defect or complaint has ever been identified or filled.

What ever we do must be API Q1 compliant and more importantly, satisfy our customers needs for product validation.
What do others do with product similar to this?

Thanks in advance
Clint

B

Balu_9

Clint:
I think you are in right direction. When you have data to support your actions, it should not be a problem with auditors. Based on the information you have provided, your plan is good. Only question I have is how did you arrive at 10pcs from 10% of lots. Did you use any sampling standard? Thanks.

Balu

Top Bottom