Supplier's First Run had Plating Problems - Can they Strip, Re-Plate and PPAP them?

V

vardar3

Our supplier called and said his first run parts came back from the plater and the platting was soo thick it made the diameter oversized. He has unplatted parts that are fine.

Can he use these parts to PPAP, if he sends them to have them stripped and replatted?

What if this was the only run scheduled for a long time (PPAP due middle of April). What should I suggest so he can PPAP?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: Supplier's first run...Can't PPAP?

Our supplier called and said his first run parts came back from the plater and the platting was soo thick it made the diameter oversized. He has unplatted parts that are fine.

Can he use these parts to PPAP, if he sends them to have them stripped and replatted?

What if this was the only run scheduled for a long time (PPAP due middle of April). What should I suggest so he can PPAP?
I take it there aren't enough unplated parts to use as representative of the PPAP production run? Technically, the PPAP "significant production run" is supposed to be representative of the supplier's normal production process. Having to send parts back to the plater in the first run is evidence of not being ready for production. The plater is your supplier's responsibility, and process control is not in evidence.

I think I would allow the parts themselves to be stripped and replated, but I would also expect to see some information on how the plater has corrected the situation. You might want to consider interim approval for that reason, with full approval coming after the next production run, assuming the process doesn't crash and burn again. Kudos to your supplier for divulging the information--he could have just had the parts replated and said nothing.

V

vardar3

He had more parts to send to plating and evaluate so it will be easy to get around considering plating is good. Thanks for the advice.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

He had more parts to send to plating and evaluate so it will be easy to get around considering plating is good. Thanks for the advice.
That doesn't alter the fact that the plater screwed up. Tier 1 suppliers are supposed to flow down the production part approval process used by the end customer, so your supplier should have PPAP in hand from the plater. If that PPAP indicates that there was no problem, there's a problem.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: Supplier's First Run had Plating Problems - Can they Strip, Re-Plate and PPAP the

Having been in the high tech contract machining business, I know a lot about the possible problems with plating of all types and a lot about fixing those problems or avoiding them in the first place.

Jim is correct that the plating is your supplier's problem (to cure now and avoid in the future.)

Depending on the plating and the tolerances involved on the product, it is unlikely the overall thickness of the plating on every surface of the product was too thick. If it was electroplating, there is an effect called "dog boning" which can occur on sharp edges and points of products which can result in a much thicker deposition of plate, skewing the dimensions of the product.

Another problem which might have occurred is that the product was dimensioned too large prior to plating and normal variance could have skewed results.

If I were you, I wouldn't settle for less than a complete root cause investigation (with participation by both your supplier and his plater) to determine precisely what went wrong and how it will be successfully avoided in the future.

Let me hasten to say, "Don't be too quick to allow all the blame to settle on the plater until the root cause investigation is complete."

Just out of curiosity: What was the plating and the thickness specification? Did the plating company also run test pieces of "coupons" for destructive testing to confirm the plating thickness met spec?

I was obsessive about plating and vetted my platers as closely as I vetted the guys who married my daughters! In over ten years, I never had the same plating problem occur twice and never failed to resolve the problems I did encounter.

L

learnever

Re: Supplier's First Run had Plating Problems - Can they Strip, Re-Plate and PPAP the

Thanks all!

Some interesting points to learn, plating amny a times is taken lightly, but should not be.

Have a good day!

Thanks again.

V

vardar3

Plating thickness….That is something that is not referenced on our print, and I don’t see it in the material spec GM 4435M. I see weight, (g/m2MIN) where should that be called out at?

We have a few suppliers going through the initial submission. They all have the GM4435 plating Code A. As I am reading the specification I see there are a few tests that should be complete, like:
· GM4435P-humidity testing
· GM9071P-tape testing
· GM4298P-salt spray

When I look at some initial submission from other plater (I’m new to PPAP) all I see is testing to the salt spray 72 hours, should they be completing all these test???

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Plating thickness….That is something that is not referenced on our print, and I don’t see it in the material spec GM 4435M. I see weight, (g/m2MIN) where should that be called out at?

We have a few suppliers going through the initial submission. They all have the GM4435 plating Code A. As I am reading the specification I see there are a few tests that should be complete, like:
· GM4435P-humidity testing
· GM9071P-tape testing
· GM4298P-salt spray

When I look at some initial submission from other plater (I’m new to PPAP) all I see is testing to the salt spray 72 hours, should they be completing all these test???
GM 4435 calls for zinc phosphate plating, and yes, your suppliers should be doing all of the prescribed testing. If your purchase orders call out the GM spec, they have no excuse for not doing it. In general, when there is no plating thickness callout, the expectation is that the plating will be sufficient to pass the corrosion testing (humidity and salt spray).

Your plater may have erred on the side of caution by overplating the parts. They need to work out their process--it's really a matter of validation--such that they know that their plating parameters will produce output that (a) doesn't result in dimensional issues and (b) is sufficiently corrosion-resistant.

This is something that should have been worked out between you, your tier 1 supplier and the plater, in that in order to avoid dimensional problems the proper preplate dimensioning should be established.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource

Most commercial plating standards are .0001-.0002. Any more, and they are wasting thier own money. They generally won't do that - thier incentive is to skimp on plating. Recently, for the first time in 15 years, we had an over plating issue which caused out of spec parts. They had .001 of plating. We thanked them for the extra zinc and had the parts stripped and re-done. Good luck.

V

vardar3

Do your prints call out the plating thickness, or is that something figured out from the weight?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
T Supplier Sample Run Rejection ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Sub-Supplier compliance to Ford Phase 0 PPAP (Run at Rate) APQP and PPAP 3
M Supplier evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
briteme4 ASL - AS9100 / Supplier Survey Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A System for Supplier Documents Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0
T IMDS submission without supplier's input? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
J Supplier not responding to PPAP request APQP and PPAP 5
D Supplier audit Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
S Distinction between a critical supplier and a Virtual manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R AS9102 FAI Change in Material / Process Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
John Broomfield Five ways to botch your supplier management program Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
C Supplier survey - 200 to 250 duppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
J Where is the definition of a critical supplier? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
U Approved Vendor (supplier) List Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
M Supplier requirements - Major supplier is a Non-Profit registered with ICCBBA (FDA UDI) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 12
P Training department ideas and development for automotive supplier Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
B Software service provider as critical supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T AS9100D Clause 10.2.1g Supplier Corrective Action for each and every nonconformity? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Supplier protocol for the Quality Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
A API Spec Q1 Purchasing Process - Supplier Reevaluation based on Supplier Risks 5.6.1.4 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 17
D Approved supplier list - Distributors question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G Supplier delivered recent PPAP, should he deliver yearly layout inspection? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
E ISO 13485 QMS certification as a Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
G Supplier doesn't share drawings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
S Use of raw materials by two supplier CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
D Are Supplier Quality Agreements Quality Records ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
G Dealing with non conformity caused by Supplier Components detected in the production line IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
G Supplier doesn't accept the complaints Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 20
K New supplier audit as per V3.1 by French Automotive OEM General Auditing Discussions 2
A ASL requirement when the supplier is certified for ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Supplier Management ISO 13485: 2016- Which supplier needs to fill in a self assessment form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Approved supplier list for R&D ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Supplier Controlled Shipping (GM CS1) Condition Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L Supplier within the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 10
P Understanding DFMEA and PFMEA - Supplier Related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M How Supplier Capacity check is done by competitors Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Supplier Audits - Stop Wasting Everyone's Time! General Auditing Discussions 15
G Supplier management when the supplier is your headquarter IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Class 3 Device - Change of supplier of material Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
D List A IVD - Change to material supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Minimum Supplier Certifications for Food Supplements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
R Supplier/Vendor Surveys (360) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10