"Survivor" TV show as metaphor of the workplace

Tim Folkerts

Trusted Information Resource
I had a flash of insight about why the “Survivor” TV show is so popular. Like the “Dilbert” comic strip, “Survivor” provides an absurd caricature of everything wrong with the workplace. All of our workplace frustrations are made a little less painful by seeing others put through even more extreme and bizarre situations. No wonder “Survivor” was the topic around so many water coolers.

Think about it…

The contestants have no control over the process :frust:. Contestants are set down in an unknown setting with no training, few resources, and little guidance. They aren’t allowed to bring their own supplies that might prove helpful. Rules are changed arbitrarily throughout the contest. They are arbitrarily assigned their teammates. Other than perhaps getting physically in shape before the taping, there is really nothing the contestants can do to improve their own productivity or effectiveness.

The contestants aren’t given the big picture :confused:. They are given seemingly meaningless task with no clear relationship to any goal other than surviving to the next stage. They are intentionally kept in the dark about what might come next. They have occasional contact with their immediate supervisor, but absolutely no contact with anyone higher up. Consequently, they have no way to develop long-term strategies for either personal success or for success of the organization as a whole.

The contestants are divided into teams, but really they are competing :mad: with their teammates, not working together. Like in office politics, secret alliances form for mutual protection, but now we are made privy to the plotting. Who hasn’t wanted to be a fly on the wall when coworkers were talking down the hall? Furthermore, they all know only one of them will become the “winner”. Some contestants actively seek to sabotage the strongest teammates to improve their relative position for later in the game. The idea that “all boats rise with the tide” is a losing strategy on “Survivor”!

The ultimate conditions for winning have little to do with actual talent, effort, or contributions:bonk: . Instead, winning depends primarily on popularity, scheming, and luck. Boy, doesn’t that sound like most “employee of the month” programs! Every employee who ever asked “what did Bob down the hall do that I didn’t that made him deserving of a $1,000 raise” can ask a thousand times over “what did Richard do that the others didn’t that made him deserving of $1,000,000”.

Watch “Survivor” (or most of the other "reality" shows) and learn everything not to do when managing a business. Maybe I should write a book - it could become the next "flavor of the month" in management approaches.

Tim F

B

Bill Pflanz

It sounds like you have described a typical company to me. When Survivor first started as a summer replacement, I watched it out of curiosity and then got hooked. I have not given it as much thought and analysis as Tim but I also thought from the very beginning that the show was representative of how things work in business, and in life. I tried watching The Apprentice but that was too painful.

BTW, if your spouse watches the show for the entertainment value, do not do a quality analysis commentary before, during or after the show unless you don't mind being called a quality nerd or told to just shut up. Trust me, I have been married 28 years and know when to keep quiet.:notme:

Bill Pflanz

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Bill Pflanz said:
I
BTW, if your spouse watches the show for the entertainment value, do not do a quality analysis commentary before, during or after the show unless you don't mind being called a quality nerd or told to just shut up. Trust me, I have been married 28 years and know when to keep quiet.:notme:

Bill Pflanz

I've been married for 27 years and I get called a nerd and told to shut up even when I haven't said anything:mg:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Well then! This is depressing. But it is the most piercing, and I dare say accurate assessment of the show--and perhaps its appeal. Watch a bunch of people kick each other around and eat bugs as I have to do...

While an inspector at the machine shop several years back, I wished I knew a Native American person who could give me the translation for my new name: Pokes Hole With Stick. (One of my inspection procedures was to stick a rod down drilled holes and then hold that oily rod next to a steel rule to see if the holes were the right depth.)

I told the guys, it occurred to me that I would need to be cautious about my linguistic expert; not to choose someone with an ulterior motive lest my "name" actually become something like Dog $***$ on Sidewalk.

I survived that job for four years. It was a difficult place to work because it was so patriarchal, but with us there was no jockeyng for position, no knifing, no one trying to undermine each other.

Tim Folkerts

Trusted Information Resource
My thought was to use the "Survivor" analogy kind of the way the "Red Bead" experiment is used -- as an intuitive illustration of problems with the system.

Face it, you can tell people a thousand time that performance-based rewards are unfair when the process is controlling the results, but that doesn't make it sink in. One exposure to the red bead experiment, or hopefully one analogy to "survivor", should help drive the point home.

Sure, Survivor is dramatic. Sure, its entertaining. But is that what you want in a business?

Tim F

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
Cheers for a good topic raised!

Tim,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :applause:

I had this very same discussion with my in-laws over Thanksgiving dinner. (Hey, it was that or talk about stocks all day.) My comment was how "Survivor" (and other reality shows) is/are so similiar to the real work place and how people behave. Of course I got poo-poo'ed by my relatives who started throwing all their "I just read it in a book" solutions to everyday work world situations. Even Richard Hatch (the first Survivor winner) said that Survivor was just a game. True, the television show is, but then again, for better or for worse, isn't the working world just a game sometimes?

(I better go rest after all this philosophical thinking.)

B

Brian Myers

I knew there was areason I hated that show. My wife watched it for a season or two, but I just couldn't stomach the show....

Guess it struck too close to home!:lmao:

Brian

J

JerryStem

Survivor like the workplace?

Because it's fake, over done and part of a silly fad that should have died years ago?

Ooops. Forgot the meds again...

Jerry:bonk:

K

Kevin H

I've got to agree with Jerry regarding Survivior. Personally, it's a very unappealing TV show - naturally, my wife likes it. :) Luckily, I would not classify most of my work experience as having occured in companies that mirror the show. On the other hand, there have been some coworkers over the years who exhibited the worst of the traits exhibited in Survivor.

Slightly off topic: When I was getting my MBA and also when I was in a conflict resolution class sponsored by an employer to help employees better deal with customers, I was chided by the instructor for the actions I was taking being unbending, demanding, etc. - we were role playing and I'd been given the instructions to play one side in a conflict. I was told in both cases that no one in business acted as I chose to during the role play. They didn't want to believe me when I told them that I was role playing an actual experience I'd had with me being the non-recacitrant participant and the other party being even more recalcitrant in real life than I was comfortable playing in a role play situation. Refused to believe that professionals would act that way in a business setting :D Survivor just supports the actions I took in the role play.

Top Bottom