Thanks To All Our Veterans

J

jmp4429

I just wanted to take a minute to say Thank You to all the ladies and gentlemen in the Cove who have served their country in our Armed Forces. Thanks, and thanks for continuing to serve others through your active roles in the Cove Forums.

:applause:

J

JRKH

buy a vet a drink day

jmp4429 said:
I just wanted to take a minute to say Thank You to all the ladies and gentlemen in the Cove who have served their country in our Armed Forces. Thanks, and thanks for continuing to serve others through your active roles in the Cove Forums.

:applause:

Agree Agree ... Thank them profusely and buy em a drink.

.......................Then go Cow tipping:drunk:

J

JerryStem

I'll take a coffee please...

Kinda funny, don't get the day off here, but then again I never got it off while in the Navy either...

Jerry

Randy

Super Moderator
We found the attached in some of my dad's stuff after he passed away in '97.

Dad spent 25 years in the USAF from '48-'73. He had a tour in Korea in 1951 (when I was born) and made no less than 6 trips to South Viet Nam ( I was living in Saigon when I was 10 when dad was stationed there). On dads last tour to SVN ('70-'71) we were in country at the same time. Dad was a long term casualty of the war and actually started to die in 1970 from Agent Orange exposure (of course nobody knew it at the time and there is no fault that my family hold anyone to). He was only sick for 5 months and things happened fast, we lost him Jan 26, 1997. The squadron that he was the 1st Sgt for was one of the main units involved in Operation Ranchhand activities and the VA has identified it as having one of the highest post war loss rates from Agent Orange.....

To continue on, dad apparently wrote this after he had come to see me in the bush up in Kwang Tri Provence. We never spoke of the war...never had to, so I really didn't know how he felt or even what things he had done (he had though seen me at work). I figured I could share this with some of my friends.

There was more to the old man than any of us were aware of including mom. In dads personal stuff we found some citations he had received along with decorations he never wore. Apparently dad and some of the other Air Force guys would fly on Army Medivac helicopters that flew out of their base during their time off instead of horsing around. During those flights they functioned as door gunners and assisted the medic's. He went down once and acquited himself well for a "non-combatent" and the Army recognized him as well as those other "Bluesuiters" for their actions. Unbeknownst to any of us dad had earned a "Heart" (for minor wounds) and Bronze Star w/V and a couple of Air Medals along with an Army Commendation Medal during his last tour.

I have developed a habit of talking to the kids I see in uniform in airports, simple chit-chat and never prying..I don't say kids in a derogatory manner, I'm now a fat old man and many Generals today are younger than me. I don't bother to tell them I'm proud of them or that I'm praying for them..they hear that enough. I just talk to them as equals with common experiences.

If you see the kids in uniform today, just say "Hi" and smile because as a veteran thats all I've ever needed and I know that dad felt the same.

Attachments

• The Grunt by Dad.doc
    169 KB · Views: 208
J

JRKH

Rendy

All I can say is he must have been a heck of a guy.

Godspeed and happylandings to him

James

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
To Randy.....and my other friends here.....

let me say that Veterans.....takes different meanings.....

I truly appreciate those who fought in wars before me.....Revolution, Barbary Pirates, War of 1812, Texas War of Independence, Mexican-American, War Between the States, 1st and 2nd Series of Indian Wars, Spanish-American, WW1, WW2, Korea.....I don't say Vietnam ONLY because I am Vietnam era.....

For example.....I was on USS Saratoga, CV-60, during the 85-86 cruise.....I transferred off.....but that cruise She took the Achille Lauro hijackers.....particpated in raids on Libya.....

I will let out something that few outside those who have been aboard ship may understand.....I realize I did my duty, did my part.....but felt like I abandoned Her when She needed me.....

Randy.....feel free to get those folks to talk.....then listen.....

I was a "cold warrior" but reality is that those who are under fire today who carry on the SAME commitment and tradition as the Minutemen of old.....they WILLINGLY risk their lives for Liberty.....some like me are too old and broken to do the same.....but our eyes readily tear when we know that the realization of LIBERTY is still present.....

If you know someone who is serving now.....ESPECIALLY if they have returned from Iraq, Afganistan, Kosovo, or elsewhere.....get them to tell you what that means to them.....what they TRULY fought for (I'll bet not God and country).....and what they saw.....listen to them.....if you have served, you understand the sacrifice, even if yours is different.....if you have not served, please just let them unload.....

For those of us who have lost comrades (or shipmates).....let us join with the sub-mariners who commit shipmates to what they call "eternal patrol".....

For those who know others considering service.....let me say this.....we place great integrity upon those willing to serve in the inner cities and in far away countries in the Peace Corps or the modern version - and rightly so I think - but if you read the writings of Jefferson and Washington and others, I believe you will agree that there is no higher honor than service to our country.....that is not to say it is perfect or without risk.....

Do you want to know the difference then? Ask a high school senior what the flag means to him/her.....and ask the same question to a veteran.....the difference is sacrifice.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
In the daily Pledge of Alliegance in the classroom, I still feel and must overcome a slight urge to salute.

Thanks for the recognition.

For the difficult job placed in front of our servicepeople these days, I recommend participating in Dear Abby's Operation https://anyservicemember.navy.mil/ and/or other small acts of recognition.

When I served on deployment there were some who never, ever got a letter or box in the mail. My dear mother regularly sent me boxes with full VCR tapes (you'd be surprised who would want to watch Y&R) newspapers from home and little goodies. That act was largely responsible for my becoming a social creature during that time, because of course I would share the spoils.

When school kids run around with donation boxes, add to them. Baby wipes are a very big gift. But simply writing a small supportive note does wonders.

Randy, I once had a colleague who also never wore his purple heart or a couple of his other 'Nam medals. Godspeed and Fair Sailing to your dad, and to mine. (He was shot down over France and did time as a prisoner in Buchenwald)

J

JRKH

Buchenwald?

Jennifer Kirley said:
Randy, I once had a colleague who also never wore his purple heart or a couple of his other 'Nam medals. Godspeed and Fair Sailing to your dad, and to mine. (He was shot down over France and did time as a prisoner in Buchenwald)

Jennifer,
Your dad was in Buchenwald? I didn't think they kept any POWs there.
What did you dad fly? I'm a history buff and this stuff fascinates me.

James

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
JRKH said:
Jennifer,
Your dad was in Buchenwald? I didn't think they kept any POWs there.
What did you dad fly? I'm a history buff and this stuff fascinates me.

James
He was an aerial photographer. As far as they were concerned, he was a spy. I do not know any details about it, I regret to say. He didn't say much and so most of the story went with him. Wish I knew more; it fascinates me too.

Top Bottom