Toyota to Detroit: We Will Bury You

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
4.) Finally our family has three vehicles two American made, a Ford and a Chrysler and an older Toyota Camry we keep and toss the keys to out of town visitors so they need not rent a car here in Florida. I would say we have spent $100 for each US car in repairs and maintenance compared to each dollar spent on the Toyota. That is the only reality that matters to most consumers.Mary
:mg: Sacré bleu! That means if you spent $500 to maintain/repair your Camry (not an unreasonable amount), you spent US$100,000 to maintain/repair the Ford and the Chrysler:cool: . Holy budget deficit, Batman.

D

Dan Armstrong

:mg: Sacré bleu! That means if you spent $500 to maintain/repair your Camry (not an unreasonable amount), you spent US$100,000 to maintain/repair the Ford and the Chrysler:cool: . Holy budget deficit, Batman.

Not counting routine items, like oil changes, I spend less than $200 a year for repairs and maintenance to my Camry and Land Cruiser combined. Some of my friends pay more than that a month for their american cars.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
I guess I must just be very lucky. My pick-up is now 10 years old, and I've changed a tail-light, replaced the air filter, replaced the battery twice and a new set of tires. Oil and filter changes regularly. Along with the state inspection sticker (in NC) I doubt that I've spent more than 150 annually. This has been pretty much the story of all my vehicles. So, am I lucky, do I have a better sales rep at the dealership, or do I just pick better vehicles?

I did drive an import for a long time, and really liked it. It lasted a long time and held up well. But, in the 13 years I drove it, I replaced the battery 5 times, Tail-lights twice, headlights once, clutch twice, fuel pump (in the tank, of course) once, tires three times, along with oil, oil filter and air filter regularly.

Which is the better value? I really am not going to say that the import was any better or worse. Both were or are good dependable vehicles, but I probably replaced more on the Mitsubishi than I have on any of the Chevys that I have driven. I guess that just goes to show that there is varience in every process. You might have good luck with one brand, I might have best luck with another.

Top Bottom