Training Effectiveness Evaluation - Different Styles - In-House and External

B

B Gammon

Training Effectiveness/ Evaluation

Good Morning Everyone:
I am trying to compile different styles or forms on how to evaluate the effectiveness of training (in-house or external).
Does anyone out here have info that they use and find to be rather effective???

Thanks

E

energy

Re: Training Effectiveness/ Evaluation

B Gammon said:

Good Morning Everyone:
I am trying to compile different styles or forms on how to evaluate the effectiveness of training (in-house or external).
Does anyone out here have info that they use and find to be rather effective???

Thanks
B.

First-Welcome to the Cove. This subject is covered plenty here. I don't want to brush you off, but please use the search function. Enter training effectiveness, or training and read all the threads. The answer you want is there, somewhere. There are several schools of thought on what constitutes training effectiveness. The simplest one, for me, is job descriptions with a signature stating the employee meets all the requirements for the job and no nonconformances traceable to that individual or department. But, as I said, there are varying opinions on what others think about this subject. Do the reading......come on back here if you don't see something you like.:bigwave: :ko: :smokin:

C

C Emmons

I am not sure what kind of ideas you are looking for, but I will tell you what I am currently working on. I recently delveloped a customer service training program and will begin to administer this week. Based on the information in the training (Attitude, Telephone etiquitte, tone of voice, etc. I deloped a checklist for each area. I am working on different scripts and will have people call other facilities presenting themselves as a customer, and verify if the people are now following the instructions based on the training.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Read thru 6.2.2 b) and then c), several times. If you provide training, then c) is not required. What is other actions? Pay cut, demotion, lay-off, verbal warning, poka-yoke, etc. I think the key is to TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN AND RETRAIN,RETRAIN, RETRAIN.

Douglas E. Purdy

Training Specification

B Gammon,

Attached is a Training Specification form that was designed for a system that required this form to be completed before any training (internal or external) was to be approved. The aspect of how an evaluation is to be performed is determined up front.

Attachments

• training spec sheet.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,693

Douglas E. Purdy

Similar, but different conclusion.

gpainter said:
Read thru 6.2.2 b) and then c), several times. If you provide training, then c) is not required. What is other actions? Pay cut, demotion, lay-off, verbal warning, poka-yoke, etc. I think the key is to TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN AND RETRAIN,RETRAIN, RETRAIN.

My earlier response in this thread was to the thread starter.

I am now pondering the relationship you stated here. I do not agree that if you provide training that c) then is not required. b) is provide training OR take other actions (training is an action in order for there to be 'other' actions). I believe the 'actions taken' in c) would be either the training or the other actions. So not only do I have to avaluate the effectiveness of training, but also the effectiveness of the hiring, demotion, lay-off, etc. performed in providing the Human Resources needed to implement and maintain the QMS (6.1 a) and meet customer requirements (6.1 b).

This would require that I have a Human Resource Management system with quality objectives to monitor and measure, but according to 6.2.2 e) I only have to maintain records of education, training, skills and experience!

How far off am I in this understanding?

Thanks,
Doug

Post Script: Just read 9004 and it seems to only center on "The education and training provided should be evaluated in terms of expectations and impact on the effectiveness and efficiency of the organization as a means of improving future training plans."

So another example where one standard says one thing and another leads you a different way. [Referring to 9001 7.3 states 'product,' but 9000 defines Design & Development as product, process, or system (3.4.4) and at the same time defines product (3.4.2) as a result of a process. - Quite contradictory in my reading and understanding.]

Last edited:
B

Bob Ablondi

Point To Ponder. The ISO 9001:2000/TS 16949

Training and qualification can only be verified by performing a competence assessment.

Bob A

Randy

Super Moderator
Really? You mean I can't prove that I have been trained and qualified by showing you a record of it, or with one of these cool plastic cards in my pocket that have a bunch of mumbo jumbo on them, or through a license from a professional organization or regulatory agency on the wall?

How about verifying competency through some type of assessment based upon ones ability to apply the training in such a fashion to achieve the desired outcome from it through action. Through this process we can determine if one is qualified and competent.

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Examples of Training Effectiveness

One of the easiest ways to indicate that training was effective is by indicating in the management review those training activities that were effective.

If you have a performance appraisal system, there usually is a section for training or personal development. This is an ideal place to indicate that training was effective.

Another method is for the supervisor/manager to initial the training record indicating that it is effective.

In your manual or procedure you can also indicate that training can be determined effective upon receipt of a certificate.

Whatever method you choose, make sure that it is described in your manual or procedures.

I hope this helps.

Danny

A

Alex.Jo

HR Formula

Douglas E. Purdy said:
I am now pondering the relationship you stated here. I do not agree that if you provide training that c) then is not required. b) is provide training OR take other actions (training is an action in order for there to be 'other' actions). I believe the 'actions taken' in c) would be either the training or the other actions. So not only do I have to avaluate the effectiveness of training, but also the effectiveness of the hiring, demotion, lay-off, etc. performed in providing the Human Resources needed to implement and maintain the QMS (6.1 a) and meet customer requirements (6.1 b).

This would require that I have a Human Resource Management system with quality objectives to monitor and measure, but according to 6.2.2 e) I only have to maintain records of education, training, skills and experience!

How far off am I in this understanding?
I would like to add one additional approaching concept (Formula) which used HR people do.

Kc = Ka/Kb, Sc = Sa/Sb, Pc = Pa/Pb

K = Knowledge,..... a = After Training
S = Skills,................. b = Before Training
P = Performance,.... c = Changes (=Effectiveness) :applause:

Source http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=71703&postcount=11
My reply was http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=72257&postcount=17

Introduce my strategy for training, we are develop "Identified Training Needs" separated by each department and modified after review by each team leader as quartely base or add new identified training need as it is required. This will be measured as I wrote above with cumulating some data.But the suitable methods is depend on your concetration on it.
(I believe there is no same way.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom