Transitioning from QS-9000 to ISO 9001

O

Oriondad

Howdy,

We were in the process of implementing the QS standard when we realized that ISO9001-2000 is better suited for us. During our implementation we had our registrar perform a pre-assessment, during which, he found that I did not have the latest versions of the QS manuals, (APQP, MSA, etc.).

Now, in our move to ISO, I have found nothing related to the "required" manuals we need, other than the obvious standard itself.

Are these manuals (APQP, MSA, etc.) a requirement under ISO9000-2000? If so, can you provide a source link to them.

Thanks,

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Oriondad said:
Howdy,

We were in the process of implementing the QS standard when we realized that ISO9001-2000 is better suited for us. During our implementation we had our registrar perform a pre-assessment, during which, he found that I did not have the latest versions of the QS manuals, (APQP, MSA, etc.).

Now, in our move to ISO, I have found nothing related to the "required" manuals we need, other than the obvious standard itself.

Are these manuals (APQP, MSA, etc.) a requirement under ISO9000-2000 (? If so, can you provide a source link to them.

Thanks,
Why don't you tell us what you and your organization do? If you are in automotive, it may be worthwhile to explore the TS16949 adjunct to ISO9001:2000 (ISO9k2k) as QS9000 was to ISO9000:1994.

In ISO9k2k, there are no "prescriptive" documents such as you ask about, but "customer requirements" may require them.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Wes's response is exactly correct. ISO 9001:2000 does not require the use of APQP, MSA, etc. but your customers might if you're an automotive supplier.

As for your question: I think the answers given are spot on, so I will add nothing there, but:
Oriondad said:
We were in the process of implementing the QS standard when we realized that ISO9001-2000 is better suited for us.
How interesting... Could you tell us more about the background and what made you change your mind?

/Claes

O

Oriondad

QS much more restrictive

We changed due to the following reasons.

1. Our customers are not asking us to go QS. We were going for the TE supplement, which should be noted. We THOUGHT we should go QS as we are automotive, BUT we do NOT supply parts for the car. We supply tooling to the machine tool business, that sells machines to the parts suppliers.

With all the requirements of R & M plus what the Big 3 require, we felt it didn't make sense. We get no requirements from our customers regarding APQP, etc.

So, here we are, changing to ISO which lightens the load tremendously. We were about 90% complete to the QS standard, so the transition looks to be relatively easy, with some change in format.

M

michelle8075

TE supplier answering your question

Oriondad said:
We changed due to the following reasons.

1. Our customers are not asking us to go QS. We were going for the TE supplement, which should be noted. We THOUGHT we should go QS as we are automotive, BUT we do NOT supply parts for the car. We supply tooling to the machine tool business, that sells machines to the parts suppliers.

With all the requirements of R & M plus what the Big 3 require, we felt it didn't make sense. We get no requirements from our customers regarding APQP, etc.

So, here we are, changing to ISO which lightens the load tremendously. We were about 90% complete to the QS standard, so the transition looks to be relatively easy, with some change in format.

I know I am a little late, but now or never. We are a QS-9000 TE supplier going to 9K2K. We supply tooling / equipment for the Big 3 etc. The Big 3 have asked the QS-9000 suppliers to move to TS-16949, but left us TE suppliers "out in the cold". We are moving to 9K2K, but we have been told is that we must still comply with customer requirements. The Big 3 will and it is in the specs that they require R & M, FMEA, APQP etc. So, despite the fact that we will be 9K2K registered, we are still keeping these manuals on hand, they will need to be incorporated as customer requirements dictate. You can get these documents for AIAG. So I guess to sum it all up is that us TE suppliers have to make due with what we are given and follow the additional cusotmer specifications that will be placed on us (i.e. APQP, FMEA, R & M, etc). The books are fairly inexpensive. :bigwave: Unfortunatly, no supplement for TE suppliers this time!

Top Bottom