UDI for two units with different S/N on the same package/case

kevin14

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I think I just found the answer to my question,
I found a guide here: meddeviceonline.com/doc/a-guide-to-udi-device-label-and-package-requirements-0002 (I cannot put links yet)

Under Packaging Configurations:
"One decision for the manufacturer is the PIs to use for a packaging configuration. Because the PIs are optional, the device label and packaging configuration label could have different PIs. For example, the package may always contain devices from the same lot, so the lot number at the packaging configuration would be appropriate. If the packaging configuration has different serial numbers, then the serial number would not be in the package UDI but would be in the device label UDI. "

It is just what Monoj Mon said above since we are linking the package DI with the device label UDI we can have the serial number on the device label UDI and not the package UDI because that doesn't really make sense, I also want to put what they made me understand the Package UDI here:
"The easiest way to understand packaging configurations is to think about inventory management at the customer’s warehouse. With UDI in place, the customer would like to scan the label on a box on the shelf and determine the contents. For example, does the box have only one device or five devices inside? A new DI for the box solves the problem."

TLDR: For two units with different serial numbers on the same package, just use DI on the package label and have the PI attributes on the device label UDI.

Top Bottom