Upgrade Audit vs. Reassessment Audit (AS9100 Rev B to Rev C)

T

tkevmoore

My company is currently certified to AS9100 Rev B with a surveillance audit schedule every March and October, 1 auditor for 3 days a piece. We scheduled our October 2011 audit for compliance to Rev C and set it for 8 auditor days. My expected outcome would be a new Rev C certificate to replace my Rev B one that expires in October 2012. Instead my registrar is quoting a 10 day Re-assessment Audit for October 2012 as well as the 8 days this October. Does this sound correct? What is the difference between the 8 day audit this year and the 10 day audit next?

Thanks for your enlightenment.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: Upgrade audit vs. Reassessment Audit

What is the difference between the 8 day audit this year and the 10 day audit next?
From what you described, the October 2011 will be a TRANSITION audit, done in connection with a SURVEILLANCE audit. The October 2012 event will be a RE-CERTIFICATION audit.

When you transition your certification from B to C as part of a surveillance audit, the expiration date of the Rev. C certificate remains the same as the previous Rev. B certificate.

T

tkevmoore

Sidney, I'm afraid you've only generated more question for me.

So if our regular surveillance audit is 3 days with 1 auditor, what happens during a transition audit of 4 days with 2 auditors?
Why isn't our certificate reissued at that point with a new registration and expiration date?
Doesn't the transition audit certify us to Rev C?
It seems like we are going through 2 certification audits

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

So if our regular surveillance audit is 3 days with 1 auditor, what happens during a transition audit of 4 days with 2 auditors?
That's the audit you will be assessed against the Rev. C requirements. You and your CB could have planned the transition during the 2 semi-annual surveillance audits, but apparently, it did not happen. You probably could have been audit for 4 days in the first half of the year and complete the transition audit with another 4 days now in the second half. Since that did not happen, you must undergo a full transition audit at once. Or, you can use this October audit as your 1st half of the transition event and finish it next March.
Why isn't our certificate reissued at that point with a new registration and expiration date?
That's because the IAQG set that policy.
Doesn't the transition audit certify us to Rev C?
When all NC's from the transition audit are closed, your certificate gets issued.
It seems like we are going through 2 certification audits
I hear you.

Top Bottom