Using an HD TV as a Computer Monitor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I'm not interested in BluRay at all, or in 3D for that matter (which my cousin is pushing as "the newest thing"). DVDs are good enough for me. I'm 60 and while most of my life I had excellent sight, as I get older I'm at the point where I need glasses anyway. I even have a pair of glasses for working on my iMac here at my desk with a 2' focal length. To make it weirder, I'm far sighted in one eye and near sighted in the other.

I do have an HD Roku XR with wireless (which I assume is not totally obsolete) in the closet from when I had my last TV (which I gave away last fall as it was over 15 years old and I just wanted it out of here). I got the Roku so my lady friend could watch Netflix on it without running the TV as a second monitor on my iMac after I ditched satellite TV.

I'm not really into Hulu and such. It's been too long for me to remember all the stuff the Roku will get other than Netflix, and it probably gets more these days than it did when I first bought it. Other than Netflix my main interest is to be able to play the many videos I have in different containers (e.g.: .avi) and codecs in the containers (e.g.: divx).

Wikipedia reference-linkComparison_of_container_formats

That's in large part behind my interest in a MacMini and being able to use it as a monitor - I use VLC a *lot* (VLC will play just about any container and enclosed codec), especially now that I have an iPhone which has a free VLC Remote "app". I have lots of old movies and TV shows on hard drives and they're in a lot of different containers and codecs including .flv files.

On my iMac I can open VLC and drag files to the playlist (easier perusing drives than navigating through all the disks and files from within VLC or other front end). Too bad Apple's Front Row has such a sucky interface and won't play a lot of the files. Even Quicktime sucks in a lot of ways in my opinion, and like Front Row doesn't play a lot of the files I have.

I do have the DVD .iso file aspect to consider as well. When I get a DVD I burn it to an .iso file. VLC will play DVD VOB files, but for it to really work like a DVD player (menus and all that) on an .iso file I have to open the .iso file so it mounts on the desktop like a 'normal' disk and then use the Apple DVD player.

Until December 2009 I has Dish satellite but since then I haven't had any TV "service" such as satellite or cable or even OTA. I'm mainly wanting to get a TV so that I can work on my iMac without having to set things up for my lady friend to watch something on the TV as a second monitor (which is why I bought the Roku and subscribed to Netflix). Personally I watch what I want on my iMac. I found that unless she is here I have no need for a TV.

I know a lot of people have several TVs but I only watch TV in one room. Heck, my cousin has a big TV in his bedroom and he practically lives in bed. Years ago I had a TV in my bedroom too, but I noticed that I only sleep in the bedroom (I have no desire to lay in bed and watch TV or movies) I don't need a TV there and haven't had one in the bedroom for at least the last 6 to 8 years (if not 10). I have a small, simple place and simply don't need TVs in every room.

One of the things I am thinking of is buying something like this to put it on: TV Stand with Casters. My desk is at one end of my living room and I plan to put something like this at the far end: Log Bunkbed / Futon. With the TV on rollers (and I have porcelain tile floors so it will roll easily), I can roll it over to the desk (Tracey likes to sit next to me at my desk) and watch here, or if I "want some 'privacy' to get some work done" I can turn it around towards the futon and she can watch there and use my wireless Sennheiser headphones. I'm looking at the Log Bunkbed / Futon from the aspect of having an extra bed (why waste space?).

Futon Bunkbed.gif
--
TV Stand with casters.jpg

Oh well - Just thinking. Nothing I have to do right away.

T

tomvehoski

I'm not sure I would want to mount a 55" LCD on casters. You are looking at around 100 pounds of top-heavy TV there. Take a look at monoprice.com for their mounts - great pricing, fast shipping, and quality stuff.

The one thing you absoutlety must have is this HDMI cable. From the reviews it will turn your 20 year old VCR tapes to 3D HDTV quality. :tg:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I'm not sure I would want to mount a 55" LCD on casters. You are looking at around 100 pounds of top-heavy TV there. Take a look at monoprice.com for their mounts - great pricing, fast shipping, and quality stuff.

The one thing you absoutlety must have is this HDMI cable. From the reviews it will turn your 20 year old VCR tapes to 3D HDTV quality. :tg:

Is that a magic cable? Considering the price??? :mg::mg:

Stijloor.

I have a 42" plasma, 1080i HDTV. The resolution is 1920x1080. We use a laptop connected via the standard D-SUB output (output resolution set to 1920x1080) and sound via the headphone output into the HDTV. There is no discernible difference between that setup and the full-on HDMI Video, Optical Audio from a Playstation 3 when watching DVDs or streaming Netflix.

Important thing to consider:
Does my PC/Laptop have the right output for my HDTV input.
No HDMI out on PC + No DSUB in on HDTV = tears

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I'll check it out. I have all my VHS tapes already in data files. I transferred them a while back so that's not an issue. I do have a DVD - VHS "combo" unit which is probably 5 years old, but not having VHS tapes any more, and the MacMini having a DVD drive (I think Apple still calls them "Super Drives" because they play just about every disk other than BluRay) I don't really even need the old DVD-VHS combo. I'm trying to make this as compact as possible with respect to components.

As to the stand, I know what you're saying about weight. From what I can tell they're designed specifically for holding big screen TVs. I called them and talked with them about the stand. Pricey, but so are the standard TV stands I've looked at and I 'm real sure I don't want to permanently mount it on a wall. Maybe I should ask for a copy of their Design FMEA.... ;) I'm still thinking about the sound aspect, though. My old Toshiba 27" had really good sound, but when I hooked it up to my stereo as one would expect I got much better sound.

I looked at the 30+ foot HDMI cable you linked to... Well, I was looking at some LG LED-LCD sets and one had a built-in wireless design where you have a remote box where you hook up all inputs and such. With that, all there would be in the way of cords would be the power cord. I wouldn't/couldn't pay that much for a cable anyway. The stand I'm considering has an optional shelf which would hold the MacMini assuming I don't go with a wireless type of setup.

Like I say - I'm playing with all sorts of ideas. I have the living room finished and I don't want it have it set up like I did before I started:

8466 Layout-650-2011.png

The area within the red rectangle is what I'm trying to come up with a plan for knowing the desk is staying where I've had it and the area behind the desk is essentially filled as before.

I'm on this page. There are some pretty flexible HDTV mounts for ceiling and wall. Movement and vibration dramatically reduce MTTF on ANY television. I'd put all the furniture in the room on casters/sliders before I'd roll around my HDTV.

And don't worry about HDTV sound. It's all crap. You'll want to run your source audio directly to a stereo at least if you are watching mostly movies.

BTW, the HDMI cable above was a joke. You can get a perfectly good HDMI cable for less than $1 per foot.
Syba 30 foot HDMI
Link Depot 50 foot HDMI

Last edited:
T

tomvehoski

Not sure where my last post went, but I agree that you will never get good sound out of a HDTV. The TV manufacturer's goal is to make them thinner and lighter. You can't get good sound out of a thin plastic shell packed with other electronics. They would also be very happy to sell you a new receiver. And speakers. And subwoofer.....

I just picked up a new (refurbished) Onkyo 7.1 AV receiver since I discovered my 10 year old receiver inputs were dying. It is nice to run the HDMI cable to the receiver so it can strip out the audio, and then have it switch the video signal automatically. Makes the setup much cleaner with fewer cables.

That of course led to the desire for more bass, so I added a powered subwoofer to my old speaker setup. Sounds much better, and I hope I'm done buying stuff now. Except for maybe that 2TB drive for the PC.

I'm running with 6' HDMI cables I got off meritline.com for $2 each and they work fine. Monoprice is also excellent there - I've got a 10' and 15' to use with the laptop. Cables are the biggest rip-off in electronic stores today - even if they are only $50 instead of $2200.

Top Bottom