What does the customer mean by ?Contaminations??

D

darkafar

What does the customer mean by ‘Contaminations’?

Customer gave us a questionnaire. In the Environmental System section, there is this question:

Do you have operating procedures to prevent the contaminations of the substances with environmental impacts when used?

What do you think the customer mean by ‘Contaminations’? Does it mean controlled substances contaminate the product, or the controlled substances contaminate the factory environment?

Y

Yew Jin

Re: What does the customer mean by ‘Contaminations’?

This is my 20 cents.

When I worked in the hard disk industrial 5 years ago, when we mentioned about the contaimination we are refer to particle count in the environment.

To control the environment contaimination we need to have the particle count frequently.

F

fireonce

It means the environment contaimination,which includes air,liquid,solid and voice,etc.

T

tyker

Darkafar, I would suggest you talk to the customer. The question makes no sense unless there is a wider context which you haven't included.

There may be a duff translation issue but guessing at the customer's intent could just result in you giving the wrong answer.

C

chergh - 2008

I would think the question is "Do you have operating procedures to prevent contamination (of the environment) with substances that have environmental impacts when used?"

While it has been a while since I was involved with anything to do with ISO 14001 I'm certain this is a requirement of the standard and therefore if you are registered to 14001 you should be able to answer "yes" to this question.

Randy

Super Moderator

Customer gave us a questionnaire. In the Environmental System section, there is this question:

What do you think the customer mean by ‘Contaminations’? Does it mean controlled substances contaminate the product, or the controlled substances contaminate the factory environment?

If it is related to "product" it does not fall in line with the definintion of environment. If the customer is refering to the factory environment then the question is relevant.

Why not ask the customer what they mean?

environment
surroundings in which an organization (3.16) operates, including air, water, land, natural resources, flora, fauna, humans, and their interrelation
NOTE Surroundings in this context extend from within an organization (3.16) to the global system.

If you notice "product" contamination is not part of the environment, it would be more of a quality issue.

J

jmurph01

This is my 20 cents.

When I worked in the hard disk industrial 5 years ago, when we mentioned about the contaimination we are refer to particle count in the environment.

To control the environment contaimination we need to have the particle count frequently.

I saw that on a GM QSB checklist and scratched my head at it. My boss basically said the same as what Yew Jin posted above. It relates to contamination of the product not of the environment. I would suggest you post this in one of the quality forums and you might get a better answer.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

I think the question was worded in a confusing way. We should not need to interpret questionnaires before answering. If the questionnaire was translated from one language to another, such problems are understandable but need correction. After all, I doubt you are the only one to receive this questionnaire, and I doubt it will be for the last time.

I agree to ask the customer which element this pertains to. That should help solve language and communication problems.

D

darkafar

Thank you all. It’s a long holiday and I’m just back. I think Tyker’s opinion is worth trying. I shall ask the customer today. Damn it I didn’t think of this before.

Top Bottom