Definition What does the term "Normative reference" mean?

T

T.P.NAMASIVAYAM

Hi,

Can anyone tell what does the term "Normative reference" in ISO 9001 2000 Means?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
All this is saying is that ISO 9000:2000 is a reference document but necessary to the standard. Think of ISO 9000 as you did the old 'definitions' document. It is, in a way, a link. One may say it is a foundation. The title of ISO 9000 is: QUALITY MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS - FUNDAMENTALS nad VOCABULARY

NORMATIVE:
Definition 1. of, pertaining to, or prescribing a law, standard, or norm, esp. with regard to correctness in speaking, writing, or behavior.
Crossref. Syn. * standard

REFERENCE:
*Definition 1. the act or process of referring.
* *Synonyms * referral (1)
* *Crossref. Syn. * relation
* *Definition 2. an allusion.
* *Synonyms * mention (1) , allusion
* *Definition 3. a source of information.
* *Example * She is a good reference on computer matters ; We go to the library to look up references.

Bottom line is you should be looking at ISO 9000, ISO 9001 and ISO 9004 as a group.

The reality is most companies buy and consider ISO 9001 and that's it. Few buy and read ISO 9000 and ISO 9004 as well which I personally believe is a very bad business practice.

E Wall

Just Me!
Trusted Information Resource
As it was explained to me (by our registrar) during transition training - The normative reference ISO 9000:2000 (fundamentals/vocabulary) must be used in conjunction with the standard itself - meaning the terminology specified is NOT open for interpretive discussion.

W

Watchwait

Re: What does the term "Normative reference" in ISO 9001 2000 mean?

I too found myself wondering about the specific meaning of "normative reference" so I came across this info:

Section 6.2.2 of Part 2 of the ISO/IEC Directives

6.2.2 Normative references

This optional element shall give a list of the referenced documents cited (see 6.6.7.5) in the document in such a "way as to make them indispensable for the application of the document...."

Based on this (as well as the prior comment from an NB), I see compliance with normative references as, in effect, mandatory, e.g., "indispensable for the application of the document".

My main concern here was the relationship between IEC 60601-1 2nd Ed. & IEC 60601-1-6 1st. Ed. Just today, I received this information from a current member of TC62 in Sweden:

"The IEC 60601-1-6 ed. 1 shall be used with IEC 60601-1 ed. 2. However, it is not stated that it is normative to use, as is the case with IEC 60601-1 ed. 3 a with IEC 60601-1-6 ed. 2."

A bit hard to follow - but I think I get the drift as well as a better understanding of the "normative reference" terminology.

Top Bottom