Your Opinions and thoughts - The Controversial Topics forum

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Personally, it wouldn't bother me to have those items in the most current threads.

Same here.
That's the way it has been up until the recent controversy when I changed it. I have some hesitation in 'turning it back on' because of some of the feedback I have received. And I want to try to keep from 'polluting' the 'Latest Post' listings if it is a significant issue to people.

But - I am open to more opinions which is why I started this public thread in the first place. I hope if others feel that way that they speak up.

Personally I'm ambivalent about it. I look at the listing and screen out what I'm not interested in.

T

Tom W

Marc - I think the fact that this thread along with a couple of the other ones you started this morning about humor and purpose have been hot topics with a lot of people responding but what is interesting is the number of other topics getting responses still out numbers these three...

My point is even with discussions on these three issues; people are still helping people more in other topics and that's what this has always been about.:agree1:

BradM

Leader
Admin
Personally, it wouldn't bother me to have those items in the most current threads.

Same here.

Well... I guess my wishes were a little more selfish. Each of us that are moderators do things differently (but with the game goal). I always check in on current threads to assure proper titles, appropriate forums and the like. I will watch people who post in threads I'm not part of. If they're mods or people I "know", I don't need to go there. When there are new names I haven't seen before, I drop in just to check if it not SPAM and such.

If all the pop up in the current threads, since it does not show which forum they are in, it makes it all the more difficult. Whereas if it's turned off and a controversial topic shows up, then I know it needs to be moved.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
And remember that new threads and new posts to existing threads in that forum do not show up in the 'Latest Posts' or other listings, nor do posts/threads show up in any search, so people will have to actively seek out the forum to read and/or participate in it.
NOTE: After testing it appears the fix I did to eliminate the Controversial Topics threads from appearing in listing is not working as I expected. I am troubleshooting this. It may end up that I will not be able to eliminate them from the listings. I'll keep everyone up to date.

Brizilla

Quite Involved in Discussions
NOTE: After testing it appears the fix I did to eliminate the Controversial Topics threads from appearing in listing is not working as I expected. I am troubleshooting this. It may end up that I will not be able to eliminate them from the listings. I'll keep everyone up to date.

The funny thing is that I'm not much of a driller so I generally only participate in the Controversial Topics Forum when it IS on the latest list. Today was the first day I went in to look at it just to see what political amusements were being made. It was pretty stade and boring. :mg:

If you succeed in getting that filter to work, I'll probably never know what's going on, never know what's a hot topic and never participate in such. (That's probably a good thing some of the time.) :bonk: I don't usually go looking for fights you know. :notme: (I mean lively discussions.)
I don't delve that much unless I'm looking for something. So if there are alot of others like me you'll probably diminish that Forum (for those who don't like it) just by hiding it.

JMHO

Briz

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
Personally I'm ambivalent about it. I look at the listing and screen out what I'm not interested in.

That works for me, I check posts since last visit, and look at the ones I find interesting.

If something bugs me, I can reply, or just scroll on. Mostly I scroll on.

These non quality topics help round me out - I tend to get too focused and isolated in the quality World and these serve as a reminder to me that there is a big World out there where quality doesn't even exist.

Someone worried that these threads would cause the forum to be censored - by whom?

BradM

Leader
Admin
Someone worried that these threads would cause the forum to be censored - by whom?

Justincredible mentioned it here:

Yet I am concerned this site will get censored if we open up policitcal debates. While we take for granted the ability to complain of our government most on this planet can not.

With that said I think the way it is will keep this forums from being blacklisted. The recent thread on democracy is a good example. What I posted would most likley not get past some censors, and it is such a powerful concept that once people understand what sets this country apart from the rest, that concept frightens leaders.

So Yes I think it should be open to debate, but you may pay a heavy price for it. The countrys and people that most need help in quality issues may not be able to come here at all. Sadly this is not one big happy world.

His point is one to be considered. He's not saying the censorship would happen here, but rather in other countries wanting to view the Cove.

Top Bottom