Do We Need a Bloodborne Pathogens Written Procedure?

Quality_Goblin

Involved In Discussions
We are a small manufacturing company and are starting to implement a more robust safety program. My question is do we need a BBP program? To my knowledge there isn't anyone in the facility that would anticipate coming in direct contact with blood or OPIM - we are just machinists, programmers, and office personnel. So if that's the case, how would we implement a BBP program and who would we train? Or would we make the program accessible to every employee and have it more about how to deal with unanticipated blood spillage on the job, how to clean it up, etc?

The program as it stands includes sections on extensive PPE, laundry, and sharps - which are all items that do not pertain to us necessarily. This is why I am confused on how to apply this standard to our safety program. Thanks in advance for your help.

Randy

Super Moderator
29CFR 1910.1030.... What do you think?

1910.1030(c)(1)(i)
Each employer having an employee(s) with occupational exposure as defined by paragraph (b) of this section shall establish a written Exposure Control Plan designed to eliminate or minimize employee exposure.

1910.1030(c)(1)(iii)
Each employer shall ensure that a copy of the Exposure Control Plan is accessible to employees in accordance with 29 CFR 1910.20(e).

1910.1030(c)(1)(iv)
The Exposure Control Plan shall be reviewed and updated at least annually and whenever necessary to reflect new or modified tasks and procedures which affect occupational exposure and to reflect new or revised employee positions with occupational exposure.

It goes on and on....

Ask yourself if a machinist cuts off a finger will there be blood? And if there's blood could someone barf? Will the blood and barf clean themselves up of evaporate into the air?

All one needs to do is a simple SEARCH for the answers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom