How to integrate SQF with ISO 9001:2008

dhoom

Registered
Hi I am working for food packaging industry. We have ISO 9001 system in place and now our management wants us to get certify under one of the GFSI scheme. I have search and found SQF scheme is easy to document and implement. My problem is how I should number the documents. We have documented policies and procedures under quality manual in 8 sections.
How should I combine ISO and SQF together?
I would be appreciate if someone share with me food safety and Quality management manual with me(combined ISO and SQF).
Thanks

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Welcome to the Cove.

First, you've to understand that SQF is not developed by the ISO so there's no common framework or structure like the other common ISO standards such as ISO 14001 or ISO 22000.

But that does not mean integration is not possible - an easier approach is to do it around the PDCA framework. The only requirement is that you need to have a reasonably good working knowledge of both.

I am sorry we do not have any sample of such manuals here.

dhoom

Registered
Thanks for your reply,
Can you explain me in detail how could I apply PDCA. It would be good if you can give me example.

Thanks

harry

Trusted Information Resource
For an idea how ISO 9001 requirements may be grouped under Plan, Do, Check & Act, see this document.

If you can similarly grouped the requirements of SQF under PDCA, you can integrate them this way.

T

t58625109

why not use ISO 22000 and PAS220 (FSSC)?
The biggest difference with iso9001 only in HACCP :rolleyes:

M

MikeSeymourAtl

Dhoom,

Checking in to see if you've met with much success in your SQF / ISO 9001 project.
I've just now started on the same. I'm also in a Food Packaging house with an existing ISO 9001.
Here's my approach: I've created a map of ISO 9001 to the SQF Module 2. I will modify/upgrade my existing ISO-oriented documents to comply with SQF. Other procedures may need to be implemented from scratch. For Module 13, I have the good fortune to have a strong EHS Manager who already has implemented a HACCP. I will probably lean heavily on that.
In regards to naming and numbering of documents, I will stick with the our current naming structure. We cannot have a Quality Management System and a Food Safety Management System. He must have a Management System.
Please let me know how things are shaking out on your project, and we can perhaps share ideas.

Top Bottom