Bright Idea - My co-worker overstates his contribution - What is a good way to react?

P

postcard

I and my co-worker came up with a great idea, my co-worker overstates his contribution when describing it to others. What is the good way to react?

Thanks in advance!

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: Bright Idea - My co-worker overstates his contribution - What is a good way to re

I and my co-worker came up with a great idea, my co-worker overstates his contribution when describing it to others. What is the good way to react?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the Cove!:bigwave: The situation you present is a common one and relatively easy to deal with. First, and foremost, you need to confront the colleague directly, saying words to the effect, "Your presentation of the extent of each of our involvements in our collaboration is different from my recollection of events. Are you deliberately trying to minimize my role and make me look ineffective to our colleagues and bosses?"

Depending on your co-worker's response to the confrontation (which could be within a range of possibilities), you can insist he amend his remarks to others to include your contribution or, escalating, (if he affirms his belief of your non-contribution) you can go directly to a superior and complain, stating the facts.

My response supposes, of course, that YOUR recollection of events is accurate.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Bright Idea - My co-worker overstates his contribution - What is a good way to re

I'd say it all depends.

How well do you know this co-worker?

Is there really any harm to you if he overstates his contribution? Folks like to feel passionate about projects they work on. Is your management aware of who participated and how?

If I knew the person well, I might just say something like - hear you have been touting our project to folks. Very good, we can use the publicity. Please be sure to include XYZ (and list something you specifically did).

I'd see if the co-worker would be amenable to generating a list of "talking points" about the project.

I once discovered a co-worker who made a presentation of materials I authored at a conference. When I discovered it (Google searches are great) I asked him about it, and he said his manager said it was okay to use the materials. I simply requested - next time you do something like that, could you list me as co-author? We co-authored quite a few presentations after that with no problems.

somashekar

Leader
Admin

Thanks in advance!
Who are the others. Do they matter to take the bright idea further ?
If so, they will investigate. why bother
If not, .......................... why bother

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Who are the others. Do they matter to take the bright idea further ?
If so, they will investigate. why bother
If not, .......................... why bother
More than 60 years ago, my grandfather impressed me with the comment:
"Any workman worthy of hire is worthy of pay."

Today, I amend that to add,
"especially if that pay is only in recognition or compliments for volunteers."

It is a hallmark of one of the nonprofits where I volunteer that every effort is made to recognize and appreciate the contributions made by volunteers, both by the paid administrators and by the "client beneficiaries" of the nonprofit.

I would consider it an egregious violation of decorum for anyone to try to supplant the laudable efforts of a colleague by touting his own work and ignoring his colleague's.

J

JLang

I would consider it an egregious violation of decorum for anyone to try to supplant the laudable efforts of a colleague by touting his own work and ignoring his colleague's.

Say what ? ;)

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Say what ? ;)
Sorry! The curse of education at high priced schools.
Translation:
It ain't good manners to steal somebody else's glory!

J

jasonb067

My suggestion is to not react. State the facts around the bright idea and that is it. No reaction required.

somashekar

Leader
Admin

These are characters and are present everywhere. People know of such most often and words said by such are always taken with caution and filters. They keep cropping up at all situations. Do nothing, ignore and keep on your track.

Top Bottom