Bright Idea - My co-worker overstates his contribution - What is a good way to react?

Izoyd

Involved In Discussions
Re: Bright Idea - My co-worker overstates his contribution - What is a good way to re

It would be nice if the world were really this idealistic place where we got recognized fairly for our accomplishments. However, that's not always necessarily the case.

Sometimes the guy who makes the most noise is the one remembered the most when evaluation time comes around, or when the opportunity to work on new projects occurs.

As far as your coworker is concerned, I agree with the others in ignoring your coworker's actual bragging/exaggeration.

However, if I were you, I would make certain that your contribution to the project is certainly well known to the relevant people, such as your direct management, if they are unaware or unclear on it. Otherwise, sometimes 'credit' does unfairly get distributed to those who yell the loudest.

Talking about your contribution does not have to be ego-induced affair, but rather a discussion of your accomplishments, how you've met your goals, and what you would like to do in the future.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Bright Idea - My co-worker overstates his contribution - What is a good way to re

I and my co-worker came up with a great idea, my co-worker overstates his contribution when describing it to others. What is the good way to react?

Thanks in advance!

postcard,

I would be generous and let it go.

An idea is often a long way from reality.

I would then make sure I was involved in making the idea a reality.

And hold no grudges.

John

Last edited:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

postcard,

I would be generous and let it go.

An idea is often a long way from reality.

I would then make sure I was involved in making the idea a reality.

John
Some posters suggest "let it go." Maybe in some cases that's the politic thing. Maybe in other cases the audience for the braggart sees him for the liar he is and it is right to ignore him.

My experience, though, has been that "letting it go" is akin to suffering the death of a thousand cuts. To my way of thinking, letting it go diminishes the soul of the victim and enhances the chance of the bully repeating. Worse, it marks the one letting go as a willing victim ripe for abuse by other bullies. Worst of all, this specific type of bully just may create a good impression on a boss too distracted to see the value of the mouse who stands idly by while the bully grabs the glory.

Over 50 years ago, the advice columnist Ann Landers offered this aphorism in response to some supplicant who was a victim of some psychological abuse:
"No one can take advantage of you without your permission."

I take that to mean that "letting it go" is permission to take advantage.

Now, the remedies to avoid being taken advantage of all hinge on being able to recognize the fact when someone is trying to take advantage of you. Those remedies can range from direct confrontation to the culprit to indirect inoculation of the audience by saying to them words to the effect, "Gee, I had a big contribution to the success of that project." and then citing facts. Lastly, of course, is flight to another environment (job change) where there are no bullies. If you know of such a place, tell me. I haven't come across one EVER!

somashekar

Leader
Admin

To let go or to ignore which is not to react is the strength of the strong and the learned. Reacting to anything is the first signs of shakiness. Reacting is equating to the one who himself is a shaky character.
When a person has the stuff within, none can take the advantage.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

To let go or to ignore which is not to react is the strength of the strong and the learned. Reacting to anything is the first signs of shakiness. Reacting is equating to the one who himself is a shaky character.
When a person has the stuff within, none can take the advantage.
Let us agree to disagree. I have long experience in American business and some in European business and I don't know of any examples where such a philosophy of continually accepting abuse from coworkers or bosses (including them stealing glory and credit for one's ideas and contributions) has resulted in anything except more abuse.

There may well be cultures where such passivity is rewarded; I just haven't experienced or even read of one.

Most business and political leaders are assertive and fiercely protective of their rights and privileges. Even the Dalai Lama line dating back hundreds of years and supposedly representing a branch of a passive religion (not strongly proselytizing to gain new adherents) has a history of violence, assassination, and political intrigue.

So, even if there may be selfless passivists out there, they face an overwhelming cabal of self-interested folk eager to take advantage of that passivity.

somashekar

Leader
Admin

I read the OP's subject line and the opening post once again. This has no reference to any other post here. nor is this an argument to agree or otherwise to any line of thought. In the context of what the OP says the situation is and wants to know what is the good way to react., not to react is the best reaction. Almost all great persons in all walks of life have two things in common. They all talk and they all do not react.
Learning from such great people, we can talk at appropriate situations and not react.
Not reacting to an unjust statement is NOT accepting abuse., passivity., being liar., suffering., diminishing oneself., willing to be victim., being idle., permitting free advantage.,
Reacting aka confrontation, adds fuel to the fire. I see no fire in the OP's case, and certainly the OP is not bullied around. Let us not make the magnitude of the OP's situation more than what it likely is.

Say what ? ;)
I speak Wes, he said, "People who steal other people's thunder suck big time."
Over 50 years ago, the advice columnist Ann Landers offered this aphorism in response to some supplicant who was a victim of some psychological abuse:
"No one can take advantage of you without your permission."
She was paraphrasing Eleanor Roosevelt: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." I only know this because a mentor gave me this quote when I was about 13 years old.
Not reacting to an unjust statement is NOT accepting abuse., passivity., being liar., suffering., diminishing oneself., willing to be victim., being idle., permitting free advantage.,
Reacting aka confrontation, adds fuel to the fire. I see no fire in the OP's case, and certainly the OP is not bullied around. Let us not make the magnitude of the OP's situation more than what it likely is.
I had a similar circumstance. Our company has a monthly "state of the company" meeting where big wins are celebrated and future risks are presented so everyone knows how we succeed and why. I asked to present a particular big win. The overhead display listed the exaggerator's name prominently on slide 1. After that, a long list of the "little people:notme:" who contributed butterfly wing flaps to the original brainstorm, followed by those who assisted the project with planning, implementation, measurement and adjustments (PDCA). Who was presenting: Icy Mt., of course! Kill 'em with kindness.

Top Bottom