Customer wants each dimension, including reference, in PFMEA

M

Mark Paul

We have a tier 1 Automotive customer of milled castings that recently started asking that each dimension, including reference, be placed in the PFMEA. They will not give us a DFMEA. There are 85 bubbles on the print for today. Is there an efficient way to call out dimensions of the same type and then group them so that the fmea doesn't run 75 pages?

Secondly, what are the "Majors" when I list out a ref dim "ANGLE - too large"? I have Loose tool, wrong tool, wrong set up instruction, improper training, incorrect machine. Any others?....

Mark

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Unfortunately it sounds like you have a customer representative who doesn't fully understand the concept and purpose of PFMEA's. Before going to all the work of detailing each dimension, try meeting with him to discuss the issue, and explain why not all dimensions need to be on the PFMEA (not just the reference dimensions, I am sure there are others as well).

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
We have a tier 1 Automotive customer of milled castings that recently started asking that each dimension, including reference, be placed in the PFMEA. They will not give us a DFMEA. There are 85 bubbles on the print for today. Is there an efficient way to call out dimensions of the same type and then group them so that the fmea doesn't run 75 pages?

Secondly, what are the "Majors" when I list out a ref dim "ANGLE - too large"? I have Loose tool, wrong tool, wrong set up instruction, improper training, incorrect machine. Any others?....

Mark

I'm with Ron Rompen on this one. What the customer is unwittingly asking you to do is fudge a lot of stuff. Automotive customers, especially OEMS, are famous for this. If there's no justification for the demand in the customer's own documented requirements (CSRs), I would first quote the customer a price for all of the extra work and let them take it from there.

J

JAltmann

Unfortunately i am dealing with something similar where i work. :-( We are just starting to do pFMEA's here, and those who dont undersatnd them or how they are created are trying to dictate that they should be feature based, not operation based. /sigh

I feel for you, the best you can do is try to educate the customer about what they are and are-not. And how they should be created.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few

Mark

It is a PROCESS fmea and it should analyze process failures and its risks and effects.

I am with the others here. You need to have a heart to heart with your customer.

M

Ms. Emma

Our customer request add each important dimension in PFMEA also. We show dimension common analyzing in PFMEA only. Otherwise we explain special control in Control Plan for each important dimension by Cpk, X bar chart, MSA, Gage R& R.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Our customer request add each important dimension in PFMEA also. We show dimension common analyzing in PFMEA only. Otherwise we explain special control in Control Plan for each important dimension by Cpk, X bar chart, MSA, Gage R& R.

In what column of the PFMEA?

(Your controls must be in the PFMEA also, not just the control plan)

Top Bottom