ISO 17025 Internal audit - No independent internal auditors

A

amanbhai

I need suggestions here, positively.
I'm planning for ISO 17025 internal audit but the problem here is that we don't have independent internal auditors here. what happens is that management audit I conduct while technical audits is conducted by the head of the dept himself.
I need some suggestions in this regard.
:thanks:

J

Jeff Frost

Since you did not mention which revision of ISO 17025 that will be used during the audit I will address my comments based on the 2005 revision.

Standard requires the audits to be conducted by trained and qualified auditors “who are, wherever resources permit, independent of the activity to be audited.” You should not have any problem if you use an auditor that is the most independent of the process being audited.

The big sticking point could really be your ability to show, through objective evidence, that the auditor has been trained and is qualified to perform internal audits to the requirements of the Standard.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyN

Moved On
Recommendation........

is that you find a local resource and have them do the audits. Make certain they don't just audit like an external auditor, though, and try to keep them focused on the implementation of the lab's activities, processes and procedures - not auditing the requirements of the 17025 document.......

Andy

Last edited:

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
The key for you is the size of your lab, and what if any additional resources (e.g. a parent organization) may be available to you.

Even the internal audit must look at the technical aspects of the lab. To accomplish that, actual independance may not be possible, in which case the one(s) performing the audit must try to divorce themselves from the operations.

This is not too difficult where several folks are available, but extremely challenging for a tiny lab.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

B

bdetchevery

You might want to see if there are other companies near you that have
auditing experience and training and offer an 'auditor swap'.

You agree to audit some of their systems for you and they agree to audit some of yours. There maybe others in the area with the same problem and looking for some help as well.

Of course you probably want all the appropriate non-disclosure, etc etc stuff in place.

Hope this helps,

Brad D. :)

Top Bottom