APQP and its components - Who owns it? Engineering or QC?

M

Mark Paul

I have been around companies that have Engineering responsible for APQP, PFMEA, but not control plan or flow (weird, I know) and other companies that have Quality Engineer own APQP, PFMEA, and control plan. My belief is that Product and/or Design Engineering should have ownership of Flow, PFMEA, and team with the QE on APQP and Quality is responsible for part print control and control plan.

Help settle an argument. Who is responsible/owns what and is it written somewhere or an unwritten rule?:argue:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Engineering or QC - Who owns it?

I have been around companies that have Engineering responsible for APQP, PFMEA, but not control plan or flow (weird, I know) and other companies that have Quality Engineer own APQP, PFMEA, and control plan. My belief is that Product and/or Design Engineering should have ownership of Flow, PFMEA, and team with the QE on APQP and Quality is responsible for part print control and control plan.

Help settle an argument. Who is responsible/owns what and is it written somewhere or an unwritten rule?:argue:

A multidisciplinary TEAM. Sometimes referred to as the Core Team.

Look at the AIAG APQP Manual. (Guidelines)
and ISO/TS 16949:2002 (Requirements)

Stijloor.

P.S. Avoid turf wars. The customer will suffer. ;)

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

All of the things you mention (as well as others, such as contract review) are part of the APQP process. All of them require cross-functional participation, and so long as they're done properly, it makes no difference who "owns" them. There are no rules in that regard.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

All of the things you mention (as well as others, such as contract review) are part of the APQP process. All of them require cross-functional participation, and so long as they're done properly, it makes no difference who "owns" them. There are no rules in that regard.

Jim,

I'm impressed!! :applause:

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Nope... Two almost similar responses within one second...:lol:

Stijloor.

You were looking over my shoulder.
APQP and its components - Who owns it? Engineering or QC?

M

Mark Paul

A draw? A tie? I hate it when neither of us wins!

I understand that they're all part of the APQP process. Is the PFMEA more than likely 'overseen' by the qc or eng. person on the core team?
What has been your colective experiences?

PS Stijloor, shouldn't you be snoozin' at this time of night in NC or are the Tar Heels on TV? Don't bother, Marquette will surprise everyone but us bubbler drinkers.
:D

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

A draw? A tie? I hate it when neither of us wins!

I understand that they're all part of the APQP process. Is the PFMEA more than likely 'overseen' by the qc or eng. person on the core team?
What has been your colective experiences?
I've seen it both ways, but generally it's QE function (in my experience).

Top Bottom