Auditing strategy

Dazzur

Involved In Discussions
I don't think you need to shine a light on the problems, if the auditor is worth their weight they'll uncover them.
But what you're describing is the daily struggle to gain buy-in, not just from top management but from everyone, there's no easy solution unfortunately.

If people aren't interested, it's clear to me they can't see the clear benefit of your QMS, maybe there's too much red tape, they're over burdened with other requirements of your QMS, it's best to involve them and make them feel as though their input is valuable at every stage of the improvement process (because it is!). My advice is to be as inclusive & transparent as possible. I suffer from many of the same problems as you, I'm getting there but still no where near where I'd like to be.

As to how you passed your previous audits, I have the answer: $

Randy

Super Moderator
1st, you're not "accredited" anything, your management system (s) is/are certified at best.

You already have a certificate for AS9100 and are going to be audited to ISO 9001? They see you coming don't they?

N.galt

Starting to get Involved
1st, you're not "accredited" anything, your management system (s) is/are certified at best.

You already have a certificate for AS9100 and are going to be audited to ISO 9001? They see you coming don't they?
Randy, do you know how to be kind? I said in my original post that I'm junior- I'm sure that you went through a learning stage too.

No- that's not what I said. I have experience being audited, " I've previously been audited to NADCAP and ISO: 9100."

Our company is ISO: 9001 Certified and we're being audited to ISO:9001.

Randy

Super Moderator
Randy, do you know how to be kind? I said in my original post that I'm junior- I'm sure that you went through a learning stage too.

No- that's not what I said. I have experience being audited, " I've previously been audited to NADCAP and ISO: 9100."

Our company is ISO: 9001 Certified and we're being audited to ISO:9001.
I was kind, ask around and you said "senior".

This question I'm looking for feedback on.

For context, I'm in a senior position at my company that is ISO:9001 accredited, I've previously been audited to NADCAP and ISO: 9100.

It's my opinion that our Quality system as it stands is weak at best, we're talking hundred's of NCR's a year, loads of repeaters- it's extremely bad. I guess the main positive would be that we've got a good reporting culture... we're leaking profits due to Quality issues.

We're going to be audited on the 5th & 6th of July to ISO:9001 this year and I have every intention of pushing the auditors buttons and leading them in the direction towards Quality holes and toward potential Non-conformances. I want to shine a very bright light on the Quality problems that we face as a company.

It baffles me that we pass audits every year, I'm not even certain we're getting value for money. I think that the previous QM always had an answer but that's really not my style. I understand the purpose of audits and it would benefit me massively to find NC's and Opportunities for improvement.

My question- previous QM's and Audit leaders, what has your approach been?
So you're going to feed the auditor? Good luck and be ready to take the hit if your QMS is now on your plate, especially if you push the right button. As an auditor (and that's all I do, audit) I have the potential to give you what you ask for, and in spades.........Kinda like someone enlisting in the Marines and then complaining because it's hard (been there too, except for the complaining).

Pushing buttons has the same potential of picking your own personal cup of Hemlock.

Dazzur

Involved In Discussions
I think what Randy is trying to say is, It's probably not a good idea.

Additionally, since you've probably gathered that your original post has been advised against, may I suggest that you post about specific happenings within your organisation and QMS that you're struggling with?

N.galt

Starting to get Involved
I was kind, ask around and you said "senior".

So you're going to feed the auditor? Good luck and be ready to take the hit if your QMS is now on your plate, especially if you push the right button. As an auditor (and that's all I do, audit) I have the potential to give you what you ask for, and in spades.........Kinda like someone enlisting in the Marines and then complaining because it's hard (been there too, except for the complaining).

Pushing buttons has the same potential of picking your own personal cup of Hemlock.
I'm in a more senior position from junior position, I don't mind a dressing down but I was asking, "what would you do in this situation?"

Read through my previous replies lol, I'm hoping that's the case.. I want NC's raising and opportunities for improvements raising!

I'm English, what is Hemlock?

N.galt

Starting to get Involved
I think what Randy is trying to say is, It's probably not a good idea.

Additionally, since you've probably gathered that your original post has been advised against, may I suggest that you post about specific happenings within your organisation and QMS that you're struggling with?

Yes, I've gathered that it's been advised against.

It's more culturally that I'm struggling with, than technical Quality Problems.

Because the NCR's are in the hundreds it's nearly impossible to tackle- I've posted previously on this forum about it separately. It's a very bad sticky plaster that I'm managing, we've always just had enough in place to pass audit but not a robust QMS. We're coming up to audit and I'm just trying to pick up the pieces from previous years, just at least for this years audit. It's a tough job but someone has to do it and it's a pick your battle situation.

Culturally, it's more just about change management and managing people. I can look in all areas of the QMS and see issues, it's just about picking one problem and seeing it through until it's fixed.

Dazzur

Involved In Discussions
Yes, I've gathered that it's been advised against.

It's more culturally that I'm struggling with, than technical Quality Problems.

Because the NCR's are in the hundreds it's nearly impossible to tackle- I've posted previously on this forum about it separately. It's a very bad sticky plaster that I'm managing, we've always just had enough in place to pass audit but not a robust QMS. We're coming up to audit and I'm just trying to pick up the pieces from previous years, just at least for this years audit. It's a tough job but someone has to do it and it's a pick your battle situation.

Culturally, it's more just about change management and managing people. I can look in all areas of the QMS and see issues, it's just about picking one problem and seeing it through until it's fixed.
Are the NCRs similar in nature?

I have a lot more NCRs than you sitting in my system so don't worry about it, with most of them existing before I entered the organisation and gets worse by the day and i'm eager to get them closed and see some actual improvement. It's an organisation that's very late to the world of Quality and thus struggle greatly.

As you're probably aware, not all NCRs require Corrective Actions, I'm assuming you have some sort of trend analysis? I use this to aid what I find worthy of Corrective Action using sound judgement, some problems just ain't worth the time or money, apply the correction & move on.

Though i've never had that approach questioned, I do wonder if it's the right thing to do sometimes.

Top Bottom