College in the US - In debt before you start

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Very true Wes. :agree:

I'm all for an exploration of renewing apprenticeships to make career paths for youngsters more clear and easier to access.

My vote's also in for more vocational schooling, not less, expecially since a large number of secondary students do not wish to pursue the white collar path. This is especially pertinent since you correctly noted the work can pay better, especially when one owns a successful small trade business.

R

RosieA

It's beyond belief what has happened to college costs over the last 30 years. When I was in college I could earn my college tuition working over the summer. By way of contrast, my youngest took a 3 credit summer course (2 weeks in duration, with the work done on-line, not in a classroom) and it cost $2500. for one stinking class. (which he got an A- in, by the way! :D )

And we had trouble borrowing the money to pay for it because many banks won't lend you money for a PLUS loan unless you're taking 12 credits.

I agree with Marc. I firmly believe that college provides value that can't be measured in dollars and cents. It allows kids to mature, explore other points of view, and try on new ideas to see how they fit. What other point in life are we at liberty to do that? (Maybe retirement...I don't know, I'm not there yet)

Still, Wes is right too. One size does not fit all.

Last comment: When we were in college, the US gov had a program called the National Student Defense loan for teachers. If you taught after graduation, a certain amount of the loan was forgiven for each year you taught. And if you taught at a poverty area school, as my husband did, it forgave up to 50% of the loan. No such incentives exist today.

M

morgand - 2006

Jennifer Kirley said:
I'm all for an exploration of renewing apprenticeships to make career paths for youngsters more clear and easier to access.

I'd like to see more apprenticeships as well. It wouldn't even have to focus on "trades". The apprenticeship system has worked well for a very long period of time. It was the orginial on-the-job training system and must be cost benifical if it has lasted as long as it has.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
morgand said:
The apprenticeship system has worked well for a very long period of time. It was the orginial on-the-job training system and must be cost benifical if it has lasted as long as it has.

Well, no. Indentured servitude came before actual apprenticeships, and it was very cost-effective.

M

morgand - 2006

Jim Wynne said:
Well, no. Indentured servitude came before actual apprenticeships, and it was very cost-effective.

Apprenticeship- the original concept (going outside the family), was formalized within the old trade guild systems in the 1300's.

Apprenticeship, the current or modern system we see in the US was based on the indentured servitude that was formalized by Brittan in the "poor laws" of the 1600's.

Apprenticeships within family units is documented as far back as the Code of Hammurabi in Babylonian 4000 years ago, but is likely far, far older.

R

ralphsulser

morgand said:
Apprenticeships within family units is documented as far back as the Code of Hammurabi in Babylonian 4000 years ago, but is likely far, far older.

Why yes, I remember when we used to train our children in basic cave building, bonfire 101, and spit turning 201:lol:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
morgand said:
Apprenticeship- the original concept (going outside the family), was formalized within the old trade guild systems in the 1300's.

Apprenticeship, the current or modern system we see in the US was based on the indentured servitude that was formalized by Brittan in the "poor laws" of the 1600's.

I was referring to US history. The European guilds and associated apprenticeships didn't transfer well to the New World, and apprenticeships in the early days of colonial America were largely the result of indentured relationships; most commonly with parents signing over their children, a binding arrangement that normally lasted until the child's 21st birthday. In the second half of the 19th century, laws were passed prohibiting the indentured relationships, which resulted in apprentice programs within trades and professions more akin to what we see today.

Top Bottom