Corrective Action Reporting Problems - Criteria to determine if CA/PA is required

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
We assign CAPs (corrective action plan) to the steward of the element for QMS problems and for Product problems to the area supervisor.

E Wall

Just Me!
Trusted Information Resource
Escalation Clause

I have to echo what Hank and Track already covered. We too have an 'escalation clause' which puts ultimate responsibility on Mgmt to enforce the system. I issue weekly the 'open RCA log' to all staff including top mgmt then address 'problem-children' at the next mgmt review meeting. This has helped since our auditor could track the notificaiton and lack-of-involvement he called the Plant manager on it during an audit. Now we have more effective and timely RCA system.

PS: Welcome Aboard! :bigwave:

S

Sam

Lucinda, Just like the rest of us, once you have vented,ranted raved on and done whatever else it takes to get it out of your system, it's time to get back at it and get the job done.
Regardless of what happens in the implementation process, when you get that certificate in the mail (and you will) it changes everything. It gives you that warm, fuzzy feeling to know that you have helped accomplish (guide) a successful process.
Someone said that getting certified is easy, keeping it was the hard part. However ypu looat it , it's a never ending process made up of good timee and bad times.
Sexism in the work place! sure there is. It will always be there. Too eliminate it completely wpould be great, but then again would you like the alternatives?

E

energy

CA5

Jim,

I know that the program is a combination of Word and Excel. For a computer illiterate like me, it's so user friendly. Question: Can you "query" in Excel, or do use the sorting feature to locate a particular component or problem? For example, I want to see who the biggest complainer is out of all our customers. I query "Customer Complaint" from the N/C catagory field. Up pops all the Customers who have made a complaint. Then I go to report and I can get a Pareto Chart, nice colors, showing who the biggest whiner is. Behind it is a report with all the history, data pertaining to the graph. It takes about 2 minutes to sort and print a report on anything you set up as "Validated" text. Our corporate environment is such that I look like a real smart guy operating this database. We have some sharp people here who could probably duplicate what this program does. But, I got it for $300 during a Harrington's web site promotion thing. Normally it goes for $500. Cheap enough if nobody has to create something. They give me the program and I do all the work. What a deal? I had used it for 18 months on a previous job, so I knew what it did. I begged and demonstrated (Free Demo) it to the "suit". He said, you want it? Buy it! One of the few times I got something I really wanted :)) :smokin:

T

Trakman

Problem Reports & CAR's

Lucinda,

(this is one HOT thread!)

Good ranting everyone. Bring on the rant, get it out of your system, gain the confidence, and get to work. :)

A few suggestions:

Go to my company website and get the 4.14 policy. We use PR's and CAR's, exactly as you are envisioning.

Start with funnelling the input into your corrective system, using problem reports. People love to complain about problems.

EMPOWER the area managers/supervisors to take initial action. (this is very important)

How will the PR's get communicated to you? Email? Hard paper? Drop box?

Keep the PR's simple with lots of check boxes, and it is only 1/2 page long. (people hate lots of writing...)

Next work on getting the information processed and out via CAR's or emails for real action. Lots of good ideas posted previously.

Provide a written report and progress to the top dog. Keep it positive, and keep them in the loop. For a new system, I would suggest every two weeks. Then when you get out-gunned on the floor, you have back-up.

Move the mountain, one shovelfull at a time!

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
I believe that if you have to have an escalation clause and have actually used it, it hints at a lack of mgm. commitment.

T

Trakman

GPainter,

Good Point, however the intent was to have the top management backing/blessing for all progress, so that forward moving implementation progress that encounters 'resistance' can be removed by a polite indication that the top dog/management expects this.... to happen. ('resistance' is a term used in war... kinda fits here... heh...heh...)

This is somewhat different to indicating let's see what the top dog wants us to do.

In other words, present the plan to top management and refer the 'resistance' to top management, which is far better than you and the 'resistance' running to top managment to sort it out. :mad: ... then you have more explaining to do.

This removes the argument - you already have the top management blessing to proceed according to plan. This puts meaning into the old term resistance is futile.

Can't argue with that! :smokin:

Remember that QA is part of management. Use it to your full advantage.

J

Jim Biz

:bigwave:

energy: my friend - YES you can "query" and sort for items of interest

There is a "Sort" function giving you option to sort for "Three criteria" say my spreadsheet says colum A "customer" colum B Part number Colum C Cost of nonconformance complaint

One can in one sort = filter out the "BAD guys" - but charting the information after the sort results -- sometimes though it requires a secondary sort to filter out the info I want to focus on.

And then there is always a "FIND" on the menu - if one needs to go to a specific part number - there are always options there to - find "by colum"? - by row? - find using formulas/ text entries / values?

J

JodiB

sniff*sniff*

:cool: You guys are the greatest. Thank you for all the support and advice. I'm sure I'll muddle through this eventually, but no lie I almost quit today.:(

But I did take a look at your company's website Trakman and it was very helpful! There's nothing like seeing a real example to get the thought processes going.

Top Bottom