CQPA (Certified Quality Process Analyst) - NEW ASQ Certification

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Thanks to Mr. Wes Richardson for pointing this out in the ASQ Discussion Forum.

A new certification has been added by ASQ called; Certified Quality Process Analyst.
“The Certified Quality Process Analyst is a paraprofessional who, in support of and under the direction of quality engineers or supervisors, analyzes and solves quality problems and is involved in quality improvement projects.”

Education and/or Experience
You must have two years of work experience or an associate degree as a minimum.

***DEAD LINK REMOVED***

I know that ASQ go through a rigorous process before releasing a new certification. Looking a bit closer, the Body of knowledge seem to have an interesting blend of the Certified Quality Improvement Associate (CQIA) and Certified Quality Technician (CQT) to some extent.

***DEAD LINK REMOVED***

There seem to be a special Administration during the Seattle Conference and general administrations from June 2005 forward.

***DEAD LINK REMOVED***

Do you have a Quality Process Analyst position in your organization? Do you think the Body of Knowledge matches with the skill required to perform job responsibilities?
Any thoughts?

Regards,
Govind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
If this had been posted on April 1 I would have been sure it was a joke. Even now, I'm not so sure. It appears that ASQ won't be happy until they've offered some sort of certification to everyone in the building. I can see it now--the CTC, or Certified Toilet Cleaner, offered to individuals who, in support of quality engineers, clean the sanitary facilities in the QC lab. Perhaps instead of a certificate, a brown belt could be offered.

Had I not been convinced several years ago that disassociating myself with ASQ would be the best thing for both of us, this one would have done the trick.

W

WALLACE

I agree,
The whole certificate thing is becoming a joke.
Wallace.

A

AllanJ

I really cannot imagine how I could ever have formulated and developed the "Process Approach" (Task Elements et al) without this essential qualification.

When I observe how resourceful are the ASQ and similar (or perhaps I should say their sycophants) are at inventing what they hope will be expedient revenue streams, one is reminded of the remark in Plato's Republic, when it comes to trying to stop them: "You are wounding a Hydra." The effort is futile.

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
In the past to become a HACCP or Bio medical auditor, one has to write CQA and the HACCP or Bio Medical Add-on i.e 2 exams. Now they have consolidated the auditing BOK into HACCP and Biomedical and hence with 1 exam a candidate can become a HACCP (CHA) or Biomedical (CBA) auditor.

Hence, I don’t think revenue generation was the reason to create an addition certification.

Most times, the requirement for a NEW certification is triggered by members, reviewed by appropriate division and the process “Phases of test development"- See sticky thread- is followed.

As for ASQ’s feedback (from Ms. Sally Harthun)- Source ASQ Discussion board:

“I am so glad to see that so many individuals are looking at our Website! Yes, we have just added a new program- the Certified Quality Process Analyst! This program was sponsored by the ASQ Board of Directors, and is intended to be a more "technical" version of the CQIA. One of the new audiences for this program is recent engineering graduates who do not have enough experience for the CQE, but need to demonstrate their knowledge. It will also fit in well with many "Analyst" job titles.”

Regards,
Govind.

A

AllanJ

Govind said:
Hence, I don’t think revenue generation was the reason to create an addition certification.

Regards,
Govind.

What a beautiful thought! Might one therefore expect the ASQ, a society of falling membership numbers and dwindling membership dues, has become a philanthropic society henceforth given to providing such "certifications" at no charge? Suitably chastened, I am duly ashamed the thought ever crossed my mind that the obtaining of lucre could ever be a reason the ASQ would ever create certifications. I am sure St Paul of Milwaukee could never contemplate such base motives! :mg:

B

Bill Pflanz

Although one can have a cynical view of ASQ's economic incentive to offer more certifications, my impression is that they are trying to address member interests. As misguided as ASQ can be, their intentions are in the right place. ASQ history indicates that it primarily supported the U.S. manufacturing industries. As manufacturing has declined in the U.S. and as company executives continue to reduce costs through job eliminations, less training and less support for dues and certifications, ASQ membership has declined.

The increased number of certifications is partly a response to service industries desire for recognition in quality without having to know all of the technical statistical methods that mainly apply to the manufacturing industry. Many of the books and courses offered by ASQ were mainly aimed at manufacturing. ASQ's goal is to expand the use of quality professionals in government, health care, banking and finance and education. To succeed with that objective, more courses, books and certifications must be offered as an entry point for the service industry so that they can be initiated in the quality body of knowledge as it applies to them.

A service industry visitor to the Cove would probably be overwhelmed and intimidated by the postings on ISO standards, gage R&R and other statistical methods etc. that frequently refer to problems in manufacturing. As someone who has worked with state government and in the banking area to utilize quality concepts, a new approach will be needed before quality professionals can take hold in the service industry. The techniques and concepts are applicable, they just need to be nurtured and grown in non-traditional industries for quality professionals.

Bill Pflanz

B

betterlife

Friends allow me to join the discussion. Without any disrespect to ASQ or any other such body giving third-party accreditation to professionals, I believe the best thing is self-certification. People, when they decide to go in for consultancy or auditing, have already developed a knack for self-learning. They don't necessarily need the tutoring or certification by others. What they need is experience which comes by giving consultancy to or auditing various companies dealing in various products and services.

I have worked in India's National Standards Body (Bureau of Indian Standards) for 24 years. For last six years I am providing consultancy in various management systems (ISO 9000, ISO 14000, ISO 13485, HACCP, OHSAS 18000, SA 8000, ISO 17025, CE marking etc.). In BIS, I learnt only about ISO 9000 and ISO 14000. Rest other systems I have learnt myself. Self-learning and improving adequacy and effectiveness of consultancy by experience has helped me a lot. I certainly don't need any third-party accreditation to prove my credentials.

In India, one Accreditation Board under Quality Counil of India is giving third-party accreditation to Consultants. The system has been tuned out to be only a money spinner. No value addition to the people. What they get is only a piece of paper which can be used to decorate the wall in consultant's office. The people in the board who judge the professionals hardly have any knowledge and experience of consultancy. I feel rather insulted in appearing before such persons to prove my credentials.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
I was reviewing the Certified Quality Process Analyst option recently and noticed no sample example on the ASQ site. Is there one available or will one be available in the near future?

T

Teresa1000

After reading the above discussion, I was very discouraged by the negativity about ASQ and certifications. Although I’ve been in Quality for 5 years, I’ve just recently looked at it as a “profession”. I want to improve my work prospects, but many outside of my department seem to think “Quality” is a dirty word.

I was hoping the ASQ certifications would be a way to show my growth and interest to my company (or future employers), so I reached out to the Cove to learn more (as I often do when I have quality questions).

Am I wasting my time by trying to achieve certifications (specifically CQPA, CQIA, and eventually CQA)?
:confused:

Top Bottom