GD&T position tolerance

Nitros1

Starting to get Involved
Hi greetings.
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question:
Relating to position tolerance, most of the literature I've found just use a plate with holes that pass through all the plate, but what if I have different holes on each opposite sides of the plate that don't go through all the depth of the plate? How will datums be specified since you have to "flip" the plate to dimension the holes on the other side?

Any examples you may have?

I appreciate it.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
This is an appropriate forum. Your scenario is hard to visualize. Can you post a relevant portion of the drawing?

Nitros1

Starting to get Involved
This is an appropriate forum. Your scenario is hard to visualize. Can you post a relevant portion of the drawing
thanks for replying.
Sure I made this drawing just for the sake of an example (not intended to be finished), what I tried to ask is that for example , I have the counterbored holes (1#) callouts and geometric tolerances and the datums specified in the front view , but the plate also has holes (#2) on the rear side so to speak, and in the front view they are represented with hidden lines, so with this hidden lines I did the callouts and geometric tolerances of this holes. But if I wanted to represent this holes (2#) on the rear view, how would I reference the datums ?

Thanks

Attachments

• elsmar example.PDF
    73 KB · Views: 73

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
The call out on the print is doable. It's just no part of the holes on the opposite side of -A- along with position from -B- and -C- can fall outside of the true position. If this is your design, you can always create a 4th datum -D- and call the other side datum -D- so long as fitting within that requirement would work for you.

Nitros1

Starting to get Involved
The call out on the print is doable. It's just no part of the holes on the opposite side of -A- along with position from -B- and -C- can fall outside of the true position. If this is your design, you can always create a 4th datum -D- and call the other side datum -D- so long as fitting within that requirement would work for you.
Thank you.
Then the call outs would have a D in the first box of the feature control frame instead of the A for holes #2?

Top Bottom