I have two doubts about PFMEA failure modes - How should I describe a "failure mode"

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: I have two doubts about PFMEA failure modes - How should I describe a "failure mo

Hi,

I need to be enlightened one more time, please!
In AIAG manual for Process potential failure mode is stipulated: “the manner in which the process could potentially fail to meet the process requirements (including the design intent)”.
What does “design intent” mean actually in this case?
Thank you!

Design intent is described as what the product is expected to do, how it is supposed to function as specified by the design engineers. For example: a fastener is expected to be installed, hold components together, and be able to be fastened at a specified torque value.

Stijloor.

H

Haughey

Re: I have two doubts about PFMEA failure modes - How should I describe a "failure mo

Regarding PFMEA question of process or product. The first thing to remember is PFMEA includes 3 things: Process Flow Diagram which documents each detailed step to complete the manufacturing or assembly of a product. Within the PFD it is critical to understand the product and process characteristics representing each process step. The detailed definition of the process step (Do this, To this, With this) becomes the function in the PFMEA (and later the process step in the Process Control Plan). Not meeting the Product Characteristic of the step helps define the PFMEA failure mode and not meeting the Process Characteristic defines the causes. This also supports PCP development of Product and Process Characteristics. I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

adamsjm

Quote Bill Ryan
<snip> As I mentioned, this is how we tackle PFMEAs (that are submitted with PPAPs) at our company - there are others that list failures of the process as Failure Modes. My "issue" with that methodology is that you can get into a "circle" where a Failure Cause turns into a Failure Mode or vice versa.

Bill, I believe your ‘circle issue’ is due to not separating different ‘levels’ of FMEA’s (see attachment). If you have the same phrase repeating in different columns within the same FMEA,
then your thoughts are "bouncing around" and the team needs to clarify its FMEA scope.

With your Failure Cause of "Temperature setting - set too high", you may enter one of these loops based upon your Potential Controls description. Setting of the temperature is in another and separate Process Step and FMEA, such as “Machine XYZ’s control parameters.” The Failure Mode of this new FMEA line is "Temperature setting - set too high" from the original FMEA’s Cause. This separation provides for improved Failure Mode identification, such as “Temperature setting – out of calibration”, “Temperature setting – improper control response”, “Temperature setting – no control response”, and/or even “Temperature setting – intermittent control response”. This leads to the preventive / predictive maintenance program and recommendations to the calibration group of the plant.

[Note: Doesn’t the ‘New FMEA’ sound a lot like an equipment or machine FMEA?]

As to the your “Potential Prevention Controls description” in the original (higher level) FMEA, you could enter something to the effect, “Setup of machine XYZ per standard work procedure A1234.” And for the Potential Detection Controls description” something like “Record machine temperature on inspection form 3X2345 every 24 hours.”

Whether you document this lower level FMEA in the original FMEA or in a separate FMEA, just keep them separated (physically and mentally).

A

adamsjm

Attachment

The attachment function is acting funny.

Joe

Attachments

• FMEA_Hierarchy of Information.jpg
    FMEA_Hierarchy of Information.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 472
M

MARCO35

Isn't it more simple to always consider that the failure mode is the way the PROCESS fails (not the product) and the effect is the effect on the PRODUCT (and consequently for the users) ?
For example,
Failure mode : wrong set up of the machine, wear of tool, wrong tool, tool broken, ...
Effet : diameter too small, incomplete hole, ...

what can happen in the process that can have an impact on the product ?

Top Bottom