Is there an "ultimate" version QMS version similar to 9001, like a "mother of all QMS"?

qualitymanagerTT

Involved In Discussions
... How many times (even on this site) people come here and mention they are “members of TC 176”, when in reality they are just a participant in a national mirror body who receives emails and are made aware of developments about the standards...
Fully agree.

And sometimes it's the opposite.

Randy

Super Moderator
How many times (even on this site) people come here and mention they are “members of TC 176”, when in reality they are just a participant in a national mirror body who receives emails and are made aware of developments about the standards.
Not something I would brag about! I could brag about eating more little tubs of catsup with an order of french fries than anyone else in my high school class in 1968, but I quit that one.

qualitymanagerTT

Involved In Discussions
Actually, I like QMS processes, but at my company we have many processes which are not related to 9001 requirements and, therefore, are not required to be controlled.
Think of processes like this quote about teeth: "You don't have to brush and floss all your teeth... just the ones you want to keep."

You only need to control those processes which are necessary for the business to meet all relevant requirements (and I can hear my kaizen-sensei saying "all others are muda!").

Careful consideration of the following document can help, particularly the concept underlying the section "SCOPES OF CERTIFICATE SMALLER THAN SCOPES OF QMS":

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
From ISO 9001 0.1:

The adoption of a quality management system is a strategic decision for an organization that can help to improve its overall performance and provide a sound basis for sustainable development initiatives.

The potential benefits to an organization of implementing a quality management system based on this International Standard are:
a.​
the ability to consistently provide products and services that meet customer and applicable statutory and regulatory requirements;
b.​
facilitating opportunities to enhance customer satisfaction;
c.​
addressing risks and opportunities associated with its context and objectives;
d.​
the ability to demonstrate conformity to specified quality management system requirements.

Is top management interested in these benefits?

Big Jim

Admin
In answer to the OP, he might benefit from looking into AS9100D. A very brief explanation is that it includes all of ISO 9001:205 word for word and where they feel that more focus and scrutiny is needed, clauses are added. Another way of say it is that AS9100D is more robust than ISO 9001:2015.

To quote from the Foreword of AS9100D:

"While primarily developed for the aviation, space, and defense industry, this standard can also be used in other industry sectors when a quality management system with additional requirements over an ISO 9001 system is needed."

Another pertinent quote:

"This standard includes ISO 9001:2015 quality management system requirements and specifies additional avation, space, and defense industry requirements, definitions, and notes as shown in bold, italic text."

All that said, I personally would be hard pressed to recommend companies that are in other industry segments to seek certification in AS9100D unless encouraged by a customer and a strong desire to live up to a more rigorous standard.

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Have a look at ISO 9004 and/or the Malcolm Baldridge criteria.
I would have given the exact recommendation as Mike. It might also be worth taking a look at the Japanese Standard JSQC-Std 11-001 Guidelines for Total Quality Management. Please note that organizations should be culturally ready for these efforts to succeed and sustain.

Top Bottom