ISO 9001 vs IATF 16949 vs VDA

QuabityControl

Registered
Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone in the states has any experience in being certified to ISO 9001 and then adding additional qualification such as VDA or IATF?
Is one harder to incorporate with ISO than the other?

Background: I work in a OEM manufacturing plant and we are currently ISO 9001 and we have a customer who wants us to to be registered to IATF 16949 or VDA, and they are going to be preforming a VDA 6.3 audit on our facility in the future.

From what I can gather VDA is less intense than IATF but in USA; IATF would be more recognizable to the other customers we have.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
It’s doable. Your biggest issue may be distinguishing between auto and non auto products. Now it’s not entirely fair for them to audit you to a standard you have yet to implement.

Quality-Nation

On Holiday
It depends how well you did ISO 9001 in the first place. If you think that being certified is an indication of success, you may find you need to do a lot more work than if you actually implemented a QMS to fully embrace the ISO 9001 requirements.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Please note that IATF follows the format of ISO9001 with additional requirements adding the IATF requirements needs work but this is essentially what all others have done
Non automotive products are not auditable as per IATF but shared services , HR, Maintenace etc. must be at IATF standards

Scanton

Quite Involved in Discussions
We hold both ISO9001 and IATF16949, and have had customers audit us against VDA 6.3.
There was very little in VDA 6.3 that wasn't already covered and under control through our implementation of IATF16949.

So I think you have answered your own question, as you think IATF 16949 would be more desirable to your other customers.

Last edited:

qusys

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone in the states has any experience in being certified to ISO 9001 and then adding additional qualification such as VDA or IATF?

Background: I work in a OEM manufacturing plant and we are currently ISO 9001 and we have a customer who wants us to to be registered to IATF 16949 or VDA, and they are going to be preforming a VDA 6.3 audit on our facility in the future.

From what I can gather VDA is less intense than IATF but in USA; IATF would be more recognizable to the other customers we have.

Thanks in advance for any information.
To be eligible to be IATF 16949 certified , you as organization has to demonstrate that you are supplying your products to automotive market.
If this is a request from one of your customer, I assume yes. I do not know how much you are familiar as organization of pertinent quality tools requested suche as fmea, control , msa, spc, apqp, ppap etc. Condiser that IATF have several requirements in addition to ISO 9001 standard and also ask for specific document processes.
Has you customer requested to you something about quality supplier development? Bing it IATF certified, it could be a request in order to have you in the path to pursue or be conform to some IATF 16949 ( minimum requirments).
VDA is instead another standard , used by automotive Germane market. It is recently changed. It is not requested a certification. Consider to follow training for both standards to get ware of the requirements. Hope this helps.

QuabityControl

Registered
It depends how well you did ISO 9001 in the first place. If you think that being certified is an indication of success, you may find you need to do a lot more work than if you actually implemented a QMS to fully embrace the ISO 9001 requirements.
I recently started here, I came from a company that had a pretty well established ISO. This place has been ISO certified for a good 20 years but they really lacked a quality employee with the time to focus on continual improvement. So the ISO is pretty good but I do see a lot of things that could use improvement. I think no matter what it will be a challenge with not only fixing the gaps in the current ISO and getting certified to another standard.

I appreciate the input.

QuabityControl

Registered
Please note that IATF follows the format of ISO9001 with additional requirements adding the IATF requirements needs work but this is essentially what all others have done
Non automotive products are not auditable as per IATF but shared services , HR, Maintenace etc. must be at IATF standards
Thanks, that was my basic understanding after doing some research. I was just not familiar with VDA and wasn't sure if it was a common in the US.

Golfman25

Yes and no. And that’s where the problems start. Take something like maintenance. IATF is pretty specific and IMO can be over complicated for many things. You can segregate between auto and non-auto, where applicable. But that adds complexity — whats auto or not. So there’s that.

QuabityControl

Registered
To be eligible to be IATF 16949 certified , you as organization has to demonstrate that you are supplying your products to automotive market.
If this is a request from one of your customer, I assume yes. I do not know how much you are familiar as organization of pertinent quality tools requested suche as fmea, control , msa, spc, apqp, ppap etc. Condiser that IATF have several requirements in addition to ISO 9001 standard and also ask for specific document processes.
Has you customer requested to you something about quality supplier development? Bing it IATF certified, it could be a request in order to have you in the path to pursue or be conform to some IATF 16949 ( minimum requirments).
VDA is instead another standard , used by automotive Germane market. It is recently changed. It is not requested a certification. Consider to follow training for both standards to get ware of the requirements. Hope this helps.
Thanks, yes currently we do have some of the 5 quality tools in implementation for IATF such as PPAP, FMEA, APQP but have not gotten into the MSA, and SPC.

Yes, the customer is asking for more down-flow improvement of suppliers. We currently have a supplier quality plan in place but I am under the impression that IATF is much more in-depth.

Do you know much about VDA? From what I can gather there are 7 parts of the VDA 6 standard but certain standards apply to certain areas in automotive. VDA 6.1 is for manufactures, where as VDA 6.2 is for service companies. Which means, I think because we not only manufacture the units but have installation sites (which are ISO certified as well) these sites would fall under a VDA 6.2 scope but our main location falls under the 6.1 because we design and assemble.

Thanks

Top Bottom