Old QMS... NEW QM.. I don't know where to start

S

Seeisoguy - 2011

In order to make the QMS work within a company you support for everyone not just your Director. I too solely take care of your QMS within our company. However, I require each department to provide a person who can manage the system within the department and well as audit.
To manage a QMS system is just that...Manage it. Don't attempt to take on revamping the system on your own. It can't be done. Deligate and pririoritize the area of concerns within each of the companies. Tie everything back to the QMS manual and if need be update the manual to the current standard.

chris_gray1980

Involved In Discussions
In order to make the QMS work within a company you support for everyone not just your Director. I too solely take care of your QMS within our company. However, I require each department to provide a person who can manage the system within the department and well as audit.
To manage a QMS system is just that...Manage it. Don't attempt to take on revamping the system on your own. It can't be done. Deligate and prioritize the area of concerns within each of the companies. Tie everything back to the QMS manual and if need be update the manual to the current standard.

Oh how i wish it was like this for me... The more and more i get in to this job roll the more and more i tire of it... what you say Seeisoguy is very very try and this is the way i 'was' taught but in my real world i have to say i am treated like a skivvy, no one is interested in quality and i produce a large amount or reports, audits, balh blah and well no one cares... i raise non conformances and in reality 'I' have to close them or they would remain open... i wish i could delegate but truth of the matter is i only have me to delegate to its hard enough getting people to READ procedures they SHOULD use let alone get them to write them or be involved in them...

Things just go from bad to worse for me so much so i currently despise quality, i was persuaded down this career path and if im honest the way its going is backwards my career is just shot to pieces, i don't know what to do, where to go or anything i am overwhelmed and no one to talk to, if i mention this to anyone at work i would basically be rendered useless and would be out of a job within a month....

I appreciate EVERYTHING people have said and ALL the information on this site it has helped me plod on even though most of it doesn't make sense to me even after the training i have had....

Sorry for the rant everyone, im just sat here trying to type a corporate audit i have done oh and done poorly i must add and i cant focus on the screen so i came to the cove to see if there was any information to help me out and i then noticed that there were posts on my thread...

I want to enjoy my job, enjoy my career and gain knowledge of the industry and become the managers that you guys are but i fear i am just not capable any more..

Thanks again for all your kind words and help

Chris

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Things just go from bad to worse for me so much so i currently despise quality, i was persuaded down this career path and if im honest the way its going is backwards my career is just shot to pieces, i don't know what to do, where to go or anything i am overwhelmed and no one to talk to, if i mention this to anyone at work i would basically be rendered useless and would be out of a job within a month....
Chris, I think you are in that place that many quality professionals find themselves now and again...which is very frustrating. So, don't feel bad about venting and ranting.

As for what you can do: I know that it is easier said than done, but somehow you have to make your top management realize that the only sustainable and cost effective Quality is the one that is embedded in the organization's business processes; quality that is expected to come from the work of an individual or department is not real quality.

Maybe your top management can be coaxed into reading the article referenced to in the Accelerating Growth Through Quality thread.

Last edited:
J

Jason PCSwitches

Hey Chris, most of us have been or currently are in the same situation you currently find yourself. The most important thing is to not let it affect you & bring you down; it's only a job and if the organization doesn't care then that's on them. They obviously do not comprehend the value of maintaining a business management system.

Do the best you can without causing too much frustration on yourself and remember, it's only a job and there is always another one around the corner. If they don't want to use your abilities and improve the organization, look elsewhere. Keep your head-up, life is about more than work!!

psyched1

Involved In Discussions
Its only a job? I hope your not in Quality.

Chris- I too have been in your shoes, frustrated and sick of the continual grind with no one listening. I actually took time off to start a restaurant about a year ago. It was a very rewarding time for me. 12-16 hour days 6 days a week. When I had a chance to sell it for a profit I took it then jumped back into quality with a new percpective.

My Dad always said do something you like and you will never work a day in your life (he was a QM also) So I looked at what it was I like about Quality. Coaching and Teaching are my hot spots. So now I know I want to train people up and get them to improve not because its a shall on a cert but because it will make them better and make their jobs eaiser (and mine).

I think you should look at the positives about your job and focus on making it fun again.

J

Jason PCSwitches

Its only a job? I hope your not in Quality.

Chris- I too have been in your shoes, frustrated and sick of the continual grind with no one listening. I actually took time off to start a restaurant about a year ago. It was a very rewarding time for me. 12-16 hour days 6 days a week. When I had a chance to sell it for a profit I took it then jumped back into quality with a new percpective.

My Dad always said do something you like and you will never work a day in your life (he was a QM also) So I looked at what it was I like about Quality. Coaching and Teaching are my hot spots. So now I know I want to train people up and get them to improve not because its a shall on a cert but because it will make them better and make their jobs eaiser (and mine).

I think you should look at the positives about your job and focus on making it fun again.

Thanks, and I am. Perhaps you missed the core message, but to each his own.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Seeisoguy - 2011

Chris:
When I first started at my company, the QMS was hated. I had to put on my sales hat and sale to the employees and the management. I demostrated to the employees how the QMS can help by showing them how to solve their problems with the standards. By doing this I ended getting the buy in of the employees. I worked my way from the bottom up. After some time (about a year) I had the employees supporting the system. The management team soon realized how the QMS was helping the employees and they jumped on the band wagon. This forced the executive team to support the system.
Believe me, it is still a fight today to get executive team to support the QMS. It is a constant battle and can be very frustrating.
Just hang in there and and become a salesman. Do not overwhelm the company with extensive reports. You know what is wrong with the company and you know how to improve it. The problem is that you can only do it in small peices. Start small and do not over feed your company. Keep audit reports simple and only focus on providing the means and ways of making their jobs easier. Soon enough people will buy in and soon enough you can start addresssing the bigger problems.

Good Luck!

M

matti

Seeisoguys answer so true it is not funny.

Like all massive projects, it is about to have a frame work to begin with.
Map out what is required to do. I.e. build a skeleton and slowly meat it out.
It is easy to lose sight if you cannot track progress.
It may seem a little time consuming to record every bit of work you do, especially if you haven't got a helper, BUT when you have reached you 150th document, you will know what I mean.

I am currently in the same boat, a year in, and I have only reached base-camp in climbing Mount Everest.

You have be Able to deal with day to day issues using the fire extinguishers called "The six mandatory element of ISO 9001:2008"

Document Control
Control of Record
Control of non conformances
Internal audits
Corrective Action
Preventative Action

There is nothing exciting about Quality more that blood, sweat and tears and a hell of a lot of typing and convincing the rest of the organisation that what you are doing is benefitting the organisation down the track.
Just remember we do what we say and say what we do.
And the more buy in the people in the organisation have of how things ought to be done, following best practices of course, taking into consideration cost, safety and resources available, the more support you will receive from top management and the organization. The business has to keep running, The products have to get to the customers and the shareholders want their returns.

Yay for Quality, safety and Due Care.

Sorry for the long post,

Matti

Top Bottom