PFD (Process Flow Diagram) approach. Setup details as part of PFD?

Ivanex

Registered
So coming from different companies where we mainly assembly products, it has been very easy in the past to write PFDs, most of the operations where related for screw assembly, apply coatings, programing PCB's, soldering harnesses, cutting wires, testing, etc.

I'm now at a new company where we build constructions fasteners, threaded rods, nails, anchors, etc. So the product does not involve pretty much operations and most of the operators participation is at changing dies and making setups for the machine that forms and cuts the stainless steel rods.

I'm preparing a PFD but I'm not sure if the setup of the machine must be included as an operation on the PFD? It should be made in very detail? The operator change a lot of parts just to make the setup, but that is not an operation. The operation to me would be how he programs and run the machine.

So how it should be included the setup on a PFD and a PFMEA? I don't want to write a PFD that in the end will look like a work instruction if I include all the steps required for the machine setup (changing gears, screws, dies, etc).

Thanks,

Ivanex

Registered
Set-up from your PFD could hyperlink to photos and other useful detail for RFT set-up.

Ok, but all the steps the operator makes for setup should be included on the PFD? He's not really making an operation but instead he's doing a setup.

To me, the operation on the machine would be "Machine setup", but should I include on PFD also all steps performed on the setup as different operations? It is possible that I just assign "Machine setup" as operation and then include all steps that need to be taken care as "process inputs", i.e. Torque for wire feeder, use line gauge of 0.5 mm, oil level at minimum indicator, etc.

Thanks,

Niber

Registered
To identify process steps, just follow the material and analyse what is being done with it. Machine setup parameters go on the 4M level under machine. Steps that need to be done by the setter are also on the 4M level - under Man. If not done properly, they'd be causes of failure modes of the analysed process step which on its turn would yield product characteristics out of spec.

Top Bottom