PFMEA on lean tools - Failure modes of a PFMEA of the tool "implementation process",

N

nitron

Hello 'cove'rs,

This is my first post. I am taking my first tentative steps in the use of PFMEA and need some of your more experienced inputs on this kind of academic quesion.

When we use lean tools like VSM, 5S, poka-yoke (to name a few) as part of a CI process, there is a chance that we may not be able to get desired results, which is why we have 'continuous improvement.'

This would imply that the processes followed in applying these tools have failed, in other words there are failure modes associated with the "implementation process" or the use of tools.

Q: If I were to make a PFMEA of the tool "implementation process", could somebody provide examples of how would I describe these failure modes?

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

I'll take a stab at this and hopefully some other learned Covers will help out. This is a bit different than how I attack a PFMEA but here goes - I would start by defining your "desired results". These would be your Failure Modes. The misapplication (sp?), misuse, non training, etc., of the various tools could be you Failure Causes. How you detect that the "desired results" are not attained would be your Detection Controls.

Does that make any sense? or help at all?

J

Jan C

I work at a parent company that provide support functions (shipping, order entry, etc) for our manufacturing plant in Mexico. Should we have process FMEA's on our processes? This NEVER occured to me at all until I read this thread. Kinda scary, what else has not occured to me.....:mg:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Jan C said:
I work at a parent company that provide support functions (shipping, order entry, etc) for our manufacturing plant in Mexico. Should we have process FMEA's on our processes? This NEVER occured to me at all until I read this thread. Kinda scary, what else has not occured to me.....:mg:

There are two basic reasons for doing PFMEA:
  • Your customer requires it
  • You want to review a process for improvement purposes, with an eye towards defect prevention.
Of course, you may be motivated by both reasons simultaneously as well. Should you do PFMEA? Most processes can benefit from some form of risk analysis, whether or not it's a customer requirement.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Jan C said:
"Should" is something you must answer yourself. "Can" you use FMEA? Yes!

PFMEAs do work very well on business/administrative processes, not just manufacturing processes. Anytime you get a result other than what you expect you have a failure mode, hence a PFMEA will work.

B

Brian Myers

PFMEA can be used on Processes of all descriptions. The trick in your case is to focus the PFMEA on the process that is being "continuously improved", not on the continuous improvement tool itself. Ultimately you are not looking to improve the tool, you are working to improve the process. The tool will work if it both applied properly and suitable to the situation. You should see the effects of the tool (5s, Poke-yoke, etc) in your PFMEA results on the process being improved.

Continuous improvement tools are "organic", they are in a constant state of change and will therefore defy any attempt to apply FMEA "static" review. Most processes being improved are "static" - in other words you have set rules and process steps, you execute them, you measure the results (and can FMEA them), and then you look for the next "leap" in evolution of the process. CI tools do not evolve in steps, but operate as the name implies - in a continuously changing manner.

Brian

J

Jan C

I am really warming to this idea! We implemented in July of this year and are going to have a preassessment audit in a few months. I think this might be a really good way to view our support processes for issues rather than depend on our Internal Audits. Now, if I can just get managements buy in?:bonk:

Top Bottom