Romance may be tied to reward system that can cause addiction

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Uh, oh... From CNN:
Love is the drug
Romance may be tied to reward system that can cause addiction

By Rhonda Grayson - CNN
Tuesday, February 14, 2006; Posted: 12:05 p.m. EST (17:05 GMT)

Researchers say that romantic love triggers reward centers in the brain.

Want to spice up your relationship or get to that second date? Do something exciting, such as going on a roller coaster or ice skating. Doing something novel triggers dopamine in the brain, which stimulates feelings of attraction. And stare into your partner's eyes. Psychologist Art Aron conducted an experiment in which he had pairs of the opposite sex stare into each other's eyes for about two minutes. Most of the couples who were strangers reported feelings of attraction. One couple went on to get married.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- People all over the world describe falling in love in similar terms: euphoria, exhilaration, elation. It's an intense craving for the person they adore. But just how does the brain process romantic love?

Anthropologist Helen Fisher, author of "Why We Love," studied the brain circuitry that makes falling in love the intense, passionate emotion it is. She found that the brain sees romantic love as a reward, stimulating activity in the same areas that light up when a person seeks any kind of a reward, whether it's chocolate, money or drugs.

"It became apparent to me that romantic love was a drive -- a drive as strong as thirst, as hunger. People live for love, they kill for love, they die for love, they sing about love," Fisher said. "There are myths and legends about love. The oldest love poetry is over 4,000 years old. The world is littered with all kinds of artifacts that stem from this basic mating drive."

Fisher went on a quest to unravel the mystery of the brain in love. She teamed up with Art Aron, a psychologist and professor at Stony Brook University in New York and Lucy Brown, a professor in neurology and neuroscience at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York.

They studied 17 people who recently had fallen madly in love -- people who were spending 80 percent of their waking hours not being able to think of anybody else. The subjects had been in love an average of seven months. The findings were published last year in the Journal of Neurophysiology. For the study, Fisher developed a questionnaire about passionate love, including such questions as "Would you die for your partner?" She said she was shocked by the answers to that query: All of the subjects said they would.

What especially surprised her was the casual way in which they responded. The participants were put into an MRI machine and asked to stare at photographs of their sweethearts and then neutral photos that called for no positive or negative feelings. When the researchers were able to look inside the brain in love, they said they were struck by the results.

The part of the brain that lit up the strongest was that associated with rewards and pleasure, a finding not nearly as poetic as romantics would have thought. It turns out that, to the brain, love is just another reward, much like chocolate or money, or like a drug to an addict. This brain system gets used every time you want something.

Romantic love, it turns out, is a reward, the researchers say.

"We certainly think of romantic love as something that's magical, and the magic is here and here," Brown said, pointing to the part of the brain that lit up during the experiment, the brain stem region known as the ventral tegmental area. There, pigmented cells known to contain dopamine send messages to a part of the brain called the caudate nucleus.

When Brown started the study, she said she thought she was studying a strong positive emotion.

"Now I have changed the way I think about early-stage romantic love," she said. "It's a motivation; the person [we're in love with] is a goal. Emotions come and go. We feel euphoria, but we feel anxiety, too. This core system that is driving the person who is in love toward their sweetheart, that is much more important in a sense than an emotion."

Aron added, "When you're intensely in love, and especially if it's being reciprocated, there is an incredible sense of exhilaration. You feel this person is the most wonderful person in the world, and if they were part of you -- if you were together -- your life would be perfect."

Fisher agreed: "Romantic love is not only an emotion, it's a basic mating drive, and it's stronger than the sex drive."

Although the early characteristics of romantic love don't last forever -- the pounding heart, the obsessive thinking and craving -- in good relationships they will transfer to a different level, a stage of love called "attachment," Fisher said.

In her own studies of more than 800 people older than 45, Fisher found that they showed just as much romantic passion as those under 25.

In fact, romantic love can be triggered at any age. Fisher said she interviewed an 8-year-old boy who perfectly described his intense passion for an 8-year-old girl. She said she also knows couples in their 70s and 80s who are madly in love.

When asked if placing love under a microscope takes away some of the mystery and romance, Fisher smiled.

"You can know every ingredient in a piece of chocolate cake, and you still sit down and eat that chocolate cake and it's wonderful," she said. "In the same way, you can know all the ingredients of romantic love and still feel that passion."

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I actually find this fascinating and I imagined a possible link between this dependency on love to make one feel good about anything, and this take on bullying: (broken link removed)

What do you think?

AndyN

Moved On
More on that addiction..........

There's a lot been recently (past 10-20 years) discovered or proven about the way the brain functions and 'love' - from the 'heady' emotional feelings to the 'steady, comfortable, best friends' situation many have experienced. Much of this 'new brain science' is the basis of books by Harville Hendrix and Pat Love (appropriately enough) and make great reading for anyone. Hendrix's work is much admired by none other than Oprah and is better known as 'Imago' theory. I have found it all fascinating.;)

Anyone else discovered this 'new brain science'??

Andy

J

JRKH

Dopey

Quote from article,
..........dopamine send messages to a part of the brain........

Guess that's why we act so dopey when we're in love.
:biglaugh: :eek: :D :lol: :biglaugh:

James

D

DiplomaGirl

Jennifer Kirley said:
I actually find this fascinating and I imagined a possible link between this dependency on love to make one feel good about anything, and this take on bullying: (broken link removed)

What do you think?

Thanks for posting this. It was really interesting to read.

It can be applied to bad experiences in romantic love. If you have suffered in romantic relationships enough, you begin to value your single status and actively avoid dates. Not, ahem, from personal experience you understand :eek:

Jen Kirley

Leader
Admin
DiplomaGirl said:
Thanks for posting this. It was really interesting to read.

It can be applied to bad experiences in romantic love. If you have suffered in romantic relationships enough, you begin to value your single status and actively avoid dates. Not, ahem, from personal experience you understand :eek:
You're welcome, I thought it was very interesting too. Someone near me is struggling with anxiety, social underdevelopment and depression. Perhaps uncoincidentally she was also repeatedly bullied between ages 9 and 13.

Maybe it sheds a stark light on why we should be very aware and supportive of civil rights efforts in our childrens' schools and even in the workplace.

Let's extrapolate on the possibilities. Could it (the bullying/intimidation factor) potentially contribute to workplace social dynamics, culminating in poor productivity at best and workplace violence at worst?

The difference is, of course, that as adults we can just leave the abusive situation. But what if we stay because finding equally compensating work is difficult, so we feel obliged to stay to support our families?

I wonder if anyone in some kind of Nirvana will find these kinds of connections and successfully argue that getting rid of the pointy-haired boss is more profitable than simply outsourcing labor.

D

DiplomaGirl

Hi Jennifer

Sadly from what I have experienced personally from bullying in the workplace years ago, alot of co-workers collude with the pointy haired boss or the bitchy colleague. Sometimes in a group or dept dynamic, more than one person plays a part in the bullying though obviously there is an instigator.

Maybe there should be a confidential process where a worker can safely confide what is happening. Sadly this is not the norm in here in Great Britain. HR sometimes colludes or just doesn't care. In the experience of my friends anyway. I myself never ever went to HR with any problems. A waste of time really.

So much productivity is lost through poor morale at work - workers being bullied on a personal level, workers feeling bullied by management, management perhaps feeling bullied by the demands of shareholders...

I find if you have been bullied in school, if you do not learn assertive techniques at university (college), you get bullied in the workplace too. Bullies are very instinctual by nature. Bullies sense their victims on an almost subconcious level. I've seen it time and again.

Sorry to be so cynical. I really hope what you suggest for the future works. Children deserve to feel safe in school. People deserve to feel safe at work.

Diploma Girl

AndyN

Moved On
And it's not just the experiences of bullying........

at work that come from our childhood lives. Take a look at the 'Imago' theories I mentioned in my earlierposting - nearly everything we experience as a child, from the earliest years has a huge, and often unrecognized, impact on our lives as adults and in relationships at home and work.
Once you 'see' these behaviours play out it become fascinating and can be very impowering - not least is to avoid becoming embroiled in the 'stuff' going on around. It also helps us, as parents, to ensure our children (at all ages) can benefit from our recognition of these things.

It's very empowering!

Andy

R

ralphsulser

Back to romance....

Speaking of "empowering" lets get back to romance.
I read recently that we are all in love with being in love. We meet someone new and develop a passionate desire and need to be with that person no matter when, where or what. They are all we can think about. And it is not just physical, but emotional and spiritual also. How many times have you heard people say "we discovered that we are soul mates". Like the phrase "Crazy in love". That this lasts about a year, then starts to decline and settle in. Similar to what Any mentioned in his earlier post.
I have to say I've been there and got the T shirt. A most empowering experience and mental state. I say the old addage is true
"Better to have loved and lost, then never to have loved at all."
Oh well it is Friday afternoon and maybe I'm just an old romantic. I have even written a romantic short story that includes my avocation as a Civil War re-enactor and a southern lady.

Jen Kirley

Leader
Admin
All so true :agree: :agree1: :applause:

In the end it's really all about how we are getting there, isn't it? Our influences can be both internal and external, but how we respond is both the challenge and reward.

We'll never see in our lifetimes a more civilized way of doing work, I am sorry to say. We'll remain flawed and competetive because it's in our nature and the Seven Human Vices are always there to be overcome--or not.

We do what we can, build our characters and relationships as best we can because of, or in spite of whatever happens.

Top Bottom