The current state of our Calibration System

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Sounds like a cart before the horse problem too me. Have there been any product quality issues caused by lack of "calibration?"

If you're using tape measures you're not doing precision work. Calibration is a waste of time. Just make sure the ends are sound and you should be ok.

As for employee owned tooling, we have that a lot in the tool & die trade. Again, a lot of unnecessary heartache is created with calibration. It is really simple. Put them in your system as employee owned with a calibration due date. When the time comes to calibrate give the employee his/her list and some stickers and let him/her have at it.

A

Alpine

Wow what great responses! <snip>
Hi,

In regards to tape measures, we use them and it used to be a nightmare to calibrate. They get lost/hidden so when you need to find them it becomes a headache. The way I got around this, is I have specified only one brand of tape measure is approved for use on site (employer supplier but in your case employee). I obtained a certificate of manufacturing tolerance which stated to which standard it was produced to. Our shopfloor staff check them prior to use and request a new one where it is damaged worn out. Prior to that we used to check them against a calibrated steel rule monthly which was a complete waste of time. Hope this helps you and good luck

AndyN

Moved On
Sounds like a cart before the horse problem too me. Have there been any product quality issues caused by lack of "calibration?"

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! RED ALERT! RED ALERT! :mg:

ONE basic reason for calibration is to PREVENT issues occurring! Your comment implies waiting to find out if it HAS caused a problem. No wonder people had a problem with Preventive Action, since this kind of thing is right under their noses, but not labeled "Preventive Action"...

OK you can stand down, now... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lmao:

Gman2

Involved - Posts
Ok here is my plan.

I am going to present at the meeting tomorrow that we:

#1 Do NOT allow any employee owned measuring devices anymore (this will cause us to have to buy a bunch of tapes and some rules but nothing major)

#2 All steel rules, squares and levels to be marked with "Not Calibrated, For FUNCTIONAL USE ONLY" stickers (I found those on a label web-site, I kind of like the wording). This should allow us to use the rules and squares for straight edges for cutting and / or marking and the levels and T-squares for functional reference checks. Everything in fabrication can really be verified with the certified tape measures anyway. There may be a few rules we use for measuring that can be included if we want.

#3 Tape measures will be included in the calibration plan, every 6 months they will be validated with gage blocks (to make sure the ends have not loosened up too much) and a visual check for wear/damage.

#4 All calipers/micrometers and other critical devises shall be included in the 6 months cycle (most of these will be in the machining area)

#5 If this all conforms and the meeting goes well I am happy in the pants :)

G

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
I would also suggest that you have rationales, with analysis, for not calibrating in writing - this is important enough (and an usual target of assessments) to have it very clear somewhere.

Gman2

Involved - Posts
Right.

The only thing I am a little hung up on is the levels, squares and steel rules.
could they be used to measure, sure, but with the sticker for functional use only that should cover it. I mean the tape measuers are really what they are checking things with. But for angles on prints im not sure how we handle that one without calibrated squares or protractors.

I need an icon for someone pulling their hair out lol
:lol:

G

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Your plan seems sound. If Management is hesitant, and I suspect they will be, then my previous post may be useful to show what kinds of fun they would have after you AB or Registrar comes in for an audit.

Hope that helps.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Ok here is my plan.

I am going to present at the meeting tomorrow that we:

#1 Do NOT allow any employee owned measuring devices anymore (this will cause us to have to buy a bunch of tapes and some rules but nothing major)

#2 All steel rules, squares and levels to be marked with "Not Calibrated, For FUNCTIONAL USE ONLY" stickers (I found those on a label web-site, I kind of like the wording). This should allow us to use the rules and squares for straight edges for cutting and / or marking and the levels and T-squares for functional reference checks. Everything in fabrication can really be verified with the certified tape measures anyway. There may be a few rules we use for measuring that can be included if we want.

#3 Tape measures will be included in the calibration plan, every 6 months they will be validated with gage blocks (to make sure the ends have not loosened up too much) and a visual check for wear/damage.

#4 All calipers/micrometers and other critical devises shall be included in the 6 months cycle (most of these will be in the machining area)

#5 If this all conforms and the meeting goes well I am happy in the pants :)

G

A very easy way to verify tape measures and steel rules is to buy one good 3 or 6 ft steel rule, have it calibrated, and tape it to a table surface. All tapes and other steel rules can quickly be verified against the master in minutes. Keep calibration records and you're done.

It seems you are going to greater trouble to avoid calibration, than it would be to just do the calibration. And, what message are you sending to your people? Are ISO Requirements things that we want to find clever loopholes to avoid? What ramifications will that message have on the others, who you say have "broken" your ISO system?

K

KBuck2506

If the decision is made to replace the tape measures Starrett and Apex Tools (parent of Lufkin) offer a statement of accuracy. We use both brands here. From a traceable-tracking standpoint Starrett numbers the the tapes. Not plugging a brand, I would expect other manufacturers to offer the same.

Top Bottom