Uncertain of how to attain Six Sigma Green Belt

MohammadAli

Registered
Hi All,

I would like your reviews in attaining the CSSG. I would like to know the pro's of whatever route you had taken, vs the cons. I'm unsure if I should do it through ASQ, or if I should do it through a university. I thought about Villanova, but reviews have said the test is next to impossible in terms of difficulty and doesn't reflect what they ask you to review.

Please help!

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Hello Mohammad,

Does your employer sponsor Six Sigma training and certification? If so, you can communicate your interest.

If not, where are you located? Some colleges such as University of South Carolina offer programs.

If you are not near a college, you can do a self-paced program with a group like American Society for Quality (ASQ). I think you still need to go to a specified testing center to take the exam.

Disclaimer: I am an ASQ member and (past) CSSBB.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Do you mind if I ask why you are pursuing this particular certification?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Hi All,

I would like your reviews in attaining the CSSG. I would like to know the pro's of whatever route you had taken, vs the cons. I'm unsure if I should do it through ASQ, or if I should do it through a university. I thought about Villanova, but reviews have said the test is next to impossible in terms of difficulty and doesn't reflect what they ask you to review.

Please help!
Carefully screen any provider of Six Sigma training. There are a lot of providers out there selling swill and my company will not recognize certifications coming from those providers. Check out their syllabus and compare it to the ISO or ASQ bodies of knowledge. Look at the duration of training. It should be approximately 80 hours to get to the Application level of Bloom's Taxonomy. Anything less will only get you to to the Knowledge level, which will not help you complete a project. Certification should include a requirement to successfully complete a project. 24-hour classes and no project are not worth the paper used in the certificate. Moresteam/Ohio State University has a pretty good program that incorporates a lot of simulations into the training.

The ASQ SSGB doesn't require a project, but all additional levels do. It also is a "permanent" cert, not a 3yr renewable one like the next level SS trainings.

MohammadAli

Registered
Looking forward to hearing back!
Do you mind if I ask why you are pursuing this particular certification?

I work as an SQE - I've been in this occupation for nearly six years and have not pursued many certifications. I felt this would be the best place to start, since it does match what I do on a day to day at work.

I have also noticed many companies have this as a requirement or heavily recommend applicants to possess some degree of it.

Top Bottom