What evidence do I need to supply as a remote location in relation to manufacturing sites?

DariusPlumdon

Involved In Discussions
I've presented a scene. Now I would change it.
-Hey, you were identified by quality manual of site A as remote supporting function.
They say, you support them in product development.
Could you show me example of this activity from last 12 months?
- We don't know what site we develop product for.
It is managed by our design HQ.
If you give us product number for this site, we can present related activities, we had implemented.
Do you know it?
- No, I don't know.
Please show me anything from last 12 months.

Then same product should be followed during audit of design HQ and preferably manufacturing site.

You are not IATF certified. HQ too.
Manufacturing sites are certified only.
You are audited per IAFT only because manufacturing site has mentioned you in their quality manual.
I am sure auditor was not fishing during audit, so he spend time on verification of evidences, that you properly support manufacturing sites, even you don't know which one it is.
You are doing well.

HQ should have someone who knows IATF and is able to prepare with manufacturing sites matrix.
Matrix listing system processes divided on:
1. processes performed by manufacturing site
2. processes performed by remote supported functions
a) HQ
b) other sites, e.g. you.
then matching it with standard clauses and giving clear guidelines to you: Hey boys, requirements of following IATF 16949 sections are applicable to you. Read it and consider during preparation of internal procedures, or, here are ready procedures for you and follow them. All of them address requirements of IATF 16949 clauses, so no worry.

I have big concerns regarding auditing of RSF.
Respecting process approach and auditing RSF before manufacturing site, because it is how things flow is understandable.
But during auditing manufacturing site interesting question to RSF can arise, but there is no opportunity to ask them. Maybe next audit, it means never.
E.g. No DFMEA used during PFMEA preparation. NC for manufacturing site. Period!
But what about, there was no DFMEA for this product? Let's check during RSF audit.
Oh no, impossible, we were there, we have seen example of DFMEA for other product. It was OK, now it is too late.

Maybe someone understands your doubts better than me and give you satisfactory support.
In auditor's opinion you are doing well and probably will do well in future, too.

Hi Sebastian, (my final reply) thank you for all your posts, they have helped. You wrote ''HQ should have someone who knows IATF and is able to prepare with manufacturing sites matrix......'' I 100% agree they SHOULD, but in reality they do not .. hence we (remote location) are given the job! Personally I think we are doing OK (as you wrote), so ultimately I am reassured by what you & other have written. I will produce a matrix for our remote locations (to the best of my ability), that is all I can do given our company structure/way of working, I think we will do OK moving forward. Thanks again & bye :)

Andgra

Registered
HI all, I found this helpful feed and would also like to ask ideas.
What to do in this case when several manufacturing locations are receiving support from centralized functions which are working virtually and remotely from everywhere (no one and only address/office defined)? Just as coincidence some of support people may be also working in one of manufacturing site premises, but not necessarily for this mnf site (just they have desk and internet in this building). The latter case is especially difficult for auditors to understand and for us to present in process map.

For example sales people are distributed all over Europe then how to present sales support in process map in manufacturing location - where they get sales support? And how this support can be audited from IATF point of view?

Example2: sales person is hired by site1, he is actually doing sales work for site2 and 3 in different countries, and he does not have any contact with site1 except address. (not working under QMS of this plant, no reporting in the plant, but reporting to central function leader who is working in non of the plants but some remote office virtually). So technically site1 is not providing this sales support and they have no influence over this.

I have trouble to figure this out. Here I gave one example, but we have this really for several functions and many-many people working virtually like this. Maybe you can give ideas how this type of support should be presented.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
Good day @Andgra ;
I would suggest you do not consider the remote support "virtual" any different than if the remote support was all located in a single office.

Audits (internal and 3rd party) of those support functions can be performed remotely.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Andgra

Registered
Thank you! During internal audit this is how it is addressed -just as office but remotely audited function.
As per my understanding IATF auditor is asking for address for remote location - I should define location for sales (what will be shown in manufacturing site certificate as remote support).

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Thank you! During internal audit this is how it is addressed -just as office but remotely audited function.
As per my understanding IATF auditor is asking for address for remote location - I should define location for sales (what will be shown in manufacturing site certificate as remote support).
Assuming you're referring to a CB auditor, it would be best to explain the situation to him/her and find out what's expected in this situation.

Top Bottom